1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What external AD converters have you tried?

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by coldsnow, May 25, 2001.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

I know that Cranesong and Apagee are great. But what others has anyone tried? Are there any that suck?

2. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Drawmer is coming out with a 24 bit 96K 2 ch A/D soon, haven't heard it yet, but if the masterflow series is an idication of quality it should be great. What is your definition of suck? One man's garbage is anothers treasure, and its better to have an Alesis AI-3 than nothing at all if thats all you can afford. The Lucid stuff is a good quality affordable solution, it depends on your expectations and budget.

Nathan Eldred
    Atlas Pro Audio, Inc.
    http://www.atlasproaudio.com

3. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

I'm using a Yamaha AW4416 which is a 16 track HD with a board similar to the O2R. It has 24 bit converters yet I'd say the converters on my 20 bit ADAT are better. Things that go in digitally sound great on it though. I'd like to upgrade the converters without getting into a several thousand dollar unit. Is the ADAT AI whatever pretty good?

4. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Its the same thing thats in the ADAT XT20

5. Melange

Melange Guest

I've tried the AD8000, Hedd, and a Lucid 9624. The AD8000 is good, but too expensive, the Hedd is great but too expensive for only two channels. I think the Lucid is better than both and is the least expensive. I did an acoustic guitar recording into ProTools, multing the signal into a Hedd, an 888/24, and the Lucid. I didn't get an 8000 to try for this paricular test. The Lucid was IMHO by far the best sounding in an A/B comparison. The 888/24 sounded very plastic-like and one-dimensional. The Hedd was cool, but like most Crane Song products, it's just too expensive to justify buying it, when the Lucid sounds so good and is so much cheaper.

6. gie

gie Guest

Originally posted by Melange:
    The AD8000 is good, but too expensive.

I blindtested the AD8000 against the Swissonic AD24 (wich is also known under the Musicnet & Sonorus brand btw)... Different mixes and instruments thru them...
    I picked the Swissonic 8 out of 10 times...

Just my two cents...

(btw I hate the Alesis AI3)

GIE

7. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Is that the 1/2 rack or full rack Swisssonic converter you are talking about.

8. gie

gie Guest

Originally posted by coldsnow:
    Is that the 1/2 rack or full rack Swisssonic converter you are talking about.

the 1/2 rack....

But I'm not saying everybody should buy the Swissonic... I was trying to point out that you should blind test some converters that fit your budget and then let your ears decide (affected by your taste of course ;) )

just my 2cents...

GIE

9. Greg Malcangi

Greg Malcangi Member

The best converters I've heard are from Prism but they are not cheap! Lucid ADCs are good for the money. AD8000 are very good and the soft limit thing is excellent. The 888/24 is basically a fairly good converter but has a poor internal clock. Using an external master clock improves them considerably.

Greg

10. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Unfortunately I'm not in a market where I am able to try higher end recording gear (including converters).

11. Audioboy

Audioboy Guest

Just FYI, http://www.panasonic.com/proaudio
    has information on the new Panasonic 8 channel WZ-96 series. There are two 1U models, one with (high quality) mic-pres and the other is line level only. They both come standard with AES/EBU and Litepipe outs and the removable card slot allow for support of all current and future transmission formats. These units are designed to be very energy effient so that very little heat is generated by this 96kHz units. As you might already know heat is the worst enemy of converters.
    There are already several world class engineers and mastering facilities using them in their 5.1 mix rooms. One such Grammy nominated engineer call them "magical"...

They retail in the U.S. for under $2,500.00.
    :)

12. Rog

Rog Member

The Steinberg 8 I/O isn't bad for the money, you could do a lot worse. It's reasonably transparent and has all the connectors you're likely to need: ADAT, TDIF, wordclock and 8 channels of ad/da on a 'D' plug and TRS jacks.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I've ben using my Crane Song HEDD for 2 channel stuff, and for "adding the processing once it's already in the digital domain" stuff...and the Lucid 8824 [8 channel A/D-D/A] for the rest of it. I've been working mostly with Digital Performer, and we've been doing the "mix" balance in that rather than bringing it out to a desk...so one has been plenty.

As always...YMMV.

14. florent

florent Guest

Hi guys.So what pci card you use to conect the external converters.I am about to by a lucid 2 ch.ADc but than I need another card and I use a Logic a.so what do you think abot motu-card!!!!!and if I by a lucid and motu should i conect the clock out from lucid to motu???thanks

15. try2break

try2break Guest

While slightly off topic (this should be in DAW World), you should definitely buy the rme-audio.com Hammerfall DSP card or just the regular Hammerfall. You WILL NOT be disapointed.

16. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

Well if you buy the MOTU it comes with 8 channels of ADDA conversion.

With the RME you'll have to buy more 8 channel converters.

I'm selling my MOTU 2408 because I hate MOTU hardware (haven't used their software) because IMO it's crappily put together with cheapass components. I've heard their power supplies buzzing, dealt with malfunctioning PCI cards, badly put together PCI cards (crookedly mounted firewire jacks etc). Their ASIO drivers are also TERRIBLE. Grr. I'm going to try the RME hammerfall card. I already have an ADI-8 PRO converter and it sounds smoother than the 2408, but I can't really tell because my room currently sucks and I can't hear stuff that detailed. I might buy an additional Lucid 8-channel or dB or Prism converter after I sell (see below) my 2408.

If you want my 2408 MkII w/PCI-324 give me an email :D :D :D and i'll ship it to you for free to get rid of it :p. it works fine, i had to trade both the breakout box and pci card in to get functioning pieces.

oh, they're tech support is also HORRIBLE. email support is non-existant and if you call their tech support phone line, and actually don't get a busy signal, expect to wait at least an hour before hearing a non-computer generated voice. oh their warranty also sucks, it's 3 months. and their warranty product replacement is VERY slow. :eek:

17. erockerboy

erockerboy Member

I'm selling my MOTU 2408 because I hate MOTU hardware.

Just as counterpoint to the above... I've found my MOTU stuff to be solidly built, great-sounding and totally reliable. I use their 2408 and 1224 audio interfaces, along with a scad of their MIDI/synchro gear, and I've never had any significant prob's with ANY of it. I've never experienced anything like dead PCI cards or crooked FireWire jacks. In fact installation on all my MOTU pieces has been a breeze, without fail. The few driver-related issues I've dealt with have always been addressed quickly by MOTU's TS peeps (in fact, several times I got 2 or 3 email followups from different MOTU staffers, making sure all was well).

To be fair, I've always used MOTU hardware with MOTU apps, so I've never had to deal with ASIO drivers and hence have no comment on Fae's issues there. Plus my interaction with MOTU TS has been via email, not phone. I gotta say, the guys have always been VERY prompt in getting back to me. I have heard from several folks that trying to reach MOTU on the fone is friggin' impossible. Oh well, everything can't be perfect. All I know is that my li'l Digital Performer rig at the house costs less, does more and sounds better doing it than my big ProTools TDM getup downtown.

Mo-TU! Mo-TU!

:)

Fae's experience IS unfortunate, tho. Good luck with the RME stuff.....

18. I just purchased a RME ADi-8 pro and it has dramatically tightened my drums and has givin me a lot more sonic space, of course i was using digi001 converters before which had such a processed sound, things are so much better now.

19. StuNew

StuNew Guest

I've been in possession of an AD8000 Speical edition for a week, we traditionally use 888/24.

I must say, I can tell the Apogee is much more transparent than the 888 on the A/D side, the 888 now sounds 'grainier', but it is particularily hard for me to pick a difference in the D/A...

anyone else?

20. Logan

Logan Active Member

I'm using the RME ADI pro 8 and the Tango 24. I like the RME better but the Tango is okay. I've tried also the Apogee Rosetta and Gadget labs. The RME is as good as the Rosetta and way better than the Gadjet labs. The RME ADI 8, btw, is the same as the Nuendo 8 I/O just a different face plate and it's cheaper. There was a test in the German Mag PMA where the RME ADI 8 was compared to an Apogee 8000 and was shown on bench tests to have better clock less jitter and more consisitent converters with a better noise floor. and subjectively the reviewer liked the sound better, YMMV. I'm happy with the RME stuff, but you have to try stuff for yourself, hopefully in your own room. This is a problem as alot of us don't have the luxury of having a supplier who has a wide variety of options that we we can take home. Don't know what the solution to that is, amybe Fletcher has to get into selling converters,as well, on his 30 day no problem return policy ;-). take care Logan