1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What happened to these musicians? Wanna see your stories

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Distinguished Member

Hi friends. For those who don´t know me, I am a recording engineer/musician from Brazil, 33 years old. I would like to know what happened to the following groups/musicians listed below. They did lots of success in Brazil with one or 2 songs and I have never heard of them again.

also, if any of you were somehwat involved with thir production, please share with us some o your experiences.
    so, here it goes:

1) SWEET ( heard some stuff from a reunion at early 90´s with a different singer)
    2) BTO
    3) BREAD
    4) Gap Bad
    5) Change ( Luther Vandross....)
    6) SOS BAND
    7) NAzareth
    8) Liverool Express
    9) Boney M
    10)Focus
    11) Ten Years after
    12) Delegation
    13) The whishpers
    14) Slade
    15) Devo
    16) La Bionda
    17) Imagination
    18) Toto ( coming back, right?)
    19) GTR
    20) Phenomena
    21) Grand Funk
    22) Gentle Giant
    23) Ratt
    24) House of Lords
    25) Firehouse
    26) Winger
    27) Danger Danger
    28) Ezo
    29) Shalamar
    30) Universal Robot Band
    31) Tavares
    32) Hot Chocolate
    33) Lea Roberts
    34) Michael Quatro

Thanks
    :p

2. Pez

Pez Active Member

If you mean Matthew Sweet then I heard that he is doing a record produced by Brendon O'Brien with Shawn Mullens and some other guy I've never heard of. A friend of mine (one of my band mates)who knows Brendon told me that Sweet and Mullins have been doing some writing together. I used to play with Shawn some myself. (played on his first album). I always thought Sweet was talented at writing a good pop song.

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

John, I was referring to SWEET. Mid 70´s huge success with ACTION, FOX ON THE RUN...
    :)

4. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Cool name dropping...but your showing your age (or lack thereof)...unless I'm a complete ass, he means "Sweet" the band...as in "Ball Room Blitz" "Love id Like Oxygen" , ect. VERY big british band of the '70's.

5. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Yes, recorder man! ballromm Blitz, Fox on the Run, Sixteen, Love is like oxygen, Action and many others!
    I didn´t know they were british!

6. Pez

Pez Active Member

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Sweet. Alecio cleared up the confusion already. Just trying to help with his question.

7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

hey friends! take it easy! it is just a simple question! I am eager to hear from you!
    Peace

8. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Their are a lot of "sweets" to go around! :c:

Alecio, Bachman Turner did some gigs later, they basically are trying to reform, but then, that is that.

Bread. Been a long time since I talked to Mike Botts, drummer. David gates did some fine solo work later...no hide nor hair from my perspective of these fine cats.

Gap...Don't know. I did meet their Bone player once...but that was way back, we traded licks, just a jam actually.

I know Luther and remember the cat in the 70's walking down Bourbon Street with holes in his shoes, broke, singing on the corner for quarters...but then...boom, big time. He lost a ton of weight in the early 90's and with the pounds, the voice got weak...gain some back, I am sure is is "on" somewhere.

Naz. Saw them last in 84.

LE, don't know.

Rest of them, have not got a clue dude..

9. Focus are touring the UK in May 2003. Thijs van Leer the only original member, I think.

Jan Akkerman is touring at the same time - saw him last year - superb!

10. Alécio Costa - Brazil

great! What about the others?
    Who elseplayed at Change and SOS BAnd? Alexander o´neal did short success with a solo career, right?

11. I think Nazerath still tour occasionally. They come from a town a few miles from where I work.

I heard David Gates of Bread is appearing at an event (can't remember which!).

Gentle Giant have never reformed though Kerry Minnear has played in bands and the drummer played with Man, who seem to have reformed again. http://www.blazemonger.com/GG/

Check out http://www.janakkerman.com to hear some great stuff!

Slade still strut their stuff - still popular with university students.

12. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

Alecio, Did these bands get a lot of airplay in Brazil? The one's I recognize were big in the mid 70's. I didn't think you were that old.

10)Focus
    I don't know where they are, but the song "Hocus Pocus" rocks!

11) Ten Years after
    I saw Alvin Lee touring 2 years ago with Bill Wyman (of the Rolling Stones) and the Rhythm Kings. What a good show!

18) Toto (coming back, right?)
    One of them is in jail I believe
    (but not Steve Luthaker)

19) GTR
    GTR was Steve Hackett of Genesis and Steve Howe from Yes - Steve Howe has been touring with Yes recently. GTR got the shortest review I ever saw in a paper.
    The review read: GTR - SUX

13. robb007

robb007 Guest

I toured with Nazerth as a back up act all last summer here in Canada.With a Canadian artist named MICHAEL BEHM ,they had the bass players son playing drums and some other guitar player not th e original from Scotland in the band ,I must say Dan McCafferty blew me away night after night !!Never meet a singer that could drink in the day and sing that material consistant every night after night after night !!!And just for the record I was born in 1962 and used to play Sweet cover songs [remember little willy}

14. Rader Ranch

Rader Ranch Guest

Randy Bachman of BTO toured last year w/his 1st big band - The Guess Who. dude can still play a mean guitar. they played at least 5-6 BTO songs also.

did that Sweet reunion album ever get finished? used to 2nd where they started tracking it...the orig. singer couldn't do the parts any more....some xtra higfh stuff. i always liked their 1st album (the one w/Little Willy ...Blockbuster is a fun tune)...

cool that the some of the Focus guys are still at it....some great players there...

15. Alécio Costa - Brazil

flood, I am 33 years old. I think I am not that old man. LOL
    In fact I am premature to music, at 5 listening to Nazareth, Kiss, Left Side, Sweet. The other children were watching Vila Sesamo or playing with plastic cars and dolls.
    :p

16. Alécio Costa - Brazil

I had on tape an imported Cd of them, from 1993 I think. but with a different singer. 2 new bonus songs, very different from what they were.

17. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

I thought I remember hearing that someone from Sweet recently died...?

18. Alécio Costa - Brazil

what a pity this stuff about Sweet. In fact they were in the 70´s what Bon Jovi was in the late 80´s on here.

Who from Toto is in Jail? Their original drummer had a heart attack?

19. M Brane

M Brane Guest

Been a while now: http://www.hotshotdigital.com/WellAlwaysRemember.2/BrianConnolly.html

20. Alécio Costa - Brazil

hey, what a pity. The guy really rocked!
    Why do most great artist have to be involved with alcohol, drugs and maybe promiscuity? It is something that always blowed my mind..
    Is it the lost of privacy? refugee from reality?
    Imagine, being famous, recognized, having dreams come true..
    I dunno
    maybe a bad family?not grown properly? :(
    :(