1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is a good Delay and echo unit please?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by mikehende, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

I have tried quite a few Delay/echo units in the past [Effectrons, Furman, Digitechs e.t.c] but those old school units are not as clean as like the later Lexicon Jamman for example, the problem with the jamman is it is not a Delay. I am seeking to purchase a very CLEAN sounding 19" delay/echo unit, can anyone recommend any please? BTW, I use the delay/echo unit for "music" playback and not for mic or recording purposes.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The Rane AD22S is a good delay and there several others available-TC Electronic D22 for one. With plugin FX occasionally you have a modeler that has delay and verb/echo adjustments built in to the gui. Most hardware units are not so multipurpose.

3. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

Thanks, I just got this from another thread, which of these would you ay would provide the best delay and echo with best sound quality?

Classic units:
    Lexicon PCM41 & PCM42
    Roland SDE 3000, SDE 1000 and SDE 2500
    Yamaha D1500
    TC Electronics 2290, M5000
    AMS 1580
    Eventide H3000, H3500, GTR4000,DSP4000, DSP4500

Decent newer units:
    TC Electronics D2
    Any new Eventide model
    Nothing else I can recall that is worthy.​

4. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

Ok, I've narrowed this down, let me ask this, is the Yamaha D1500 better than the older Digitech and Effectrons units?

5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

As a previous owner of the D1500 (as well as a guzillion others over the years), I can say that it WAS a decent unit when it was introduced--in the 1980's -- but the 8-bit audio from back then is pretty "grungy" (dirty, noisey, lots of digital artifacts).

You are not detailing WHY you want this for a "music mix"...is it to delay feed remote loudspeaker systems in a facility?
    If it is just to be used as a special effects box, there are a number of newer boxes from already-named manufacturers like Lexicon, TC, Eventide, and Yamaha. Sure, they CAN do more than just a delay(but don't HAVE to), but that's to be expected in these days of techno beats and such. The audio quality of the "modern" DSP boxes is so much better...

BTW, the models YOU listed are predominantly from an earlier era (the 80's/90's) ... any reason why?

6. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

Yes, I need a 19" unit only as an fx box to add echo and delay to regular songs when playing music. I purchased the Lexicon Jamman becuase the echo is a LOT cleaner than the Digitechs, Effectrons and Art Multiverbs unit I had in the past but I need to have the delays like the others mentioned and with the Jamman I am not getting those delays, I think the Jamman is more for looping, sampling and echo and not a Delay unit so I am looking around for a more modern but lower end unit which will give me the delays like those older unit mentioned. The models listed in my previous post was taken from another thread on delays, I have not heard them myself. To simplify this, I would like the same echo and delays of the older units mentioned in this post just that I need a unit which will produce less distortion and much cleaner or quality sound.

7. TheJackAttack

You dragged up a quite old thread. The archives are great but if you are looking for advice on current gear you have to check the posting dates.

8. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

Well, I want to see all of my options including whatever new is out there these days

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Everything is better than the older Digitech and Effectron units. They were both noisy and primarily an offshoot from the guitar oriented pieces that both companies sold a million of ... TCElectronics is what you want to look at. Unless you like really 'heavy' effects, then Lexicon. The list you provided has some of the best of the classic old-school effects boxes and they are all still viable....and still commanding a high price. You'll still be looking at a grand plus for any Eventide. And good luck finding any SDE units. They are primarily delays. I have owned all of them and still kick myself for selling my prime condition PAIR of SDE3000's. I still have a pair of 1000's that get used once a year and for odd little repeats. Nothing else. The digital reverbs found in recording programs and plug-ins are so much more developed than the older stuff. And noiseless.

TC M-One XL. This is a very good box with two engines, lots of presets, and tap delay available on any program. You can alter and save any of the presets as well build your own. The reverbs are deep but they are also transparent. It never gets in the way of the program. M5000 is a very nice unit also. If you want big time then the upper end stuff is fantastic. Digital controllers and the whole nine yards.

10. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

The only Reverb I have ever liked is the original Spring reverb of the old Pioneer units, i have the SR303 rackmounted on my rig so i have reverb covered, now all i need is the delay and echo, I am more leaning towards the TC Electronics D2 becuase I cannot afford the other higher ends one mentioned here, think I try trading my Lexicon Jamman for it.

11. TheJackAttack

Well cheap reverb doesn't sound good. You definitely can't skimp for that particular FX. The penultimate for digital reverb is the Bricasti.

12. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Which do you have in mind as being the ultimate?

13. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

He's a Marine. Nothing is ultimate until he says its ultimate.

14. Boswell

Oh, right. I had forgotten that reverb came under DEFCON levels.

15. TheJackAttack

LOL! I promise not to let phrasing get in the way of the meaning again.......for at least a couple days......

I r jist a sim-pal Marine. Shuld knot yuse sich bigg wurds.

16. TheJackAttack

My ultimate verb isn't a box anyway. It's a room mic so doesn't qualify in this thread.

17. Boswell

My ultimate verb at the end of a sentence is.

18. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

which should product cleaner sound, this:

• Conversion:16 bit linear PCM encoding; 31.25kHz sampling rate
    or any 24bit unit?

19. Boswell

The quality of a reverb has more to do with the algorithms employed rather than the conversion standards. A good reverb unit will give good results with whatever conversion standards the designer saw fit to employ.

Many of the earlier Lexicons had the spec you mentioned (maybe that's where you got it from?), and they were excellent units, not only for their day, but also compared to some of the more recent products available that on paper have a higher-spec conversion and clock rate.

20. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The BEST reverb is the one that works for the job its given. I could care less about the numbers attached to any of the boxes listed, I only care about how it fits into the music its being asked to effect. There is no magic bullet for any of this. There are definately better built and better designed boxes, but they arent always the sound needed for specific tracks.

So having several to choose from is always a good thing.

You still have never delineated what your primary use for this device is going to be. Adding verb to recorded tracks is one thing.....having a verb in a rack of guitar effects is another.