1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is a good Power Amp for NS 10s?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Mad John, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

While I have the Mackies, I have not been too happy with the hyped sound and I had to return to my old NS 10s, However my Crown DC 300R amp is on the fritz and I had just repaired it last year.

Anyway, I would love to hear some recomendations for a good power amp that would compliment the Yamahas. I plan on getting better monitors for both mixing and listening. For now I have only the NS 10s and HR 824s.

I did not mention a price range because I do not want that to discourage you all from telling me what you think is a good power amp!

Thanks in advance,

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

John,
    I have been using Hafler P3000's with my NS10's, Auratones and Tannoy DMT12 III's for a long time. The sound has never failed. Mix's translate well and the imaging is very good. They can be bridged to mono for 300 watts. These are very dependable amps, I have had them for several years. They come with a 5 year warranty and run cool and efficient. Kurt
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To help keep this site alive and growing, please show your support by purchasing one of our caps, studio clocks, T-Shirts etc. Banner ads too!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Many project and larger studios are doing great things with the Alesis amps. When I heard an RA100, I bought 3 of them for reduntancy. Good reports on their bigger amps as well.

Hafler, you cannot go wrong.

Yamaha either.

4. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

Brystons will noticable improve your sound. And empty your wallet. Still a good value IMO.

5. audiowkstation

I used a Bryston 4B SST and liked it, but it for the price did not practice the emotion and musicallity of the http://www.kraudio.com equipment

For the Dough, KR hands down.

You want to talk High End, look at Halco, 47labs..etc..

6. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Thank you all for the comments!

Alesis amps, really? I would never of thought. I will have to check them out.

:p:

7. audiowkstation

They are reported to be very solid, I have mixes that are solid from them I bought 3 of the RA100's and Million Valve has one and says it sounds very neutral..well it is not about the brand, it is the design.

Some brands do have winners!

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

In the same price range I ended up preferring the TASCAM PA150. It has XLR/RCA inputs, bridge switch and 150W per channel.(these are 4 Ohms)

I use them with my Monitor ones.

If you want a cheap but clean amp,there is the a100A, seems that were madwe for NS10´s, however, you can not cranck them up.

9. Gary Gidak

Gary Gidak Member

I recently bought an Alesis RA300, and I really like it. There's no fan, so you don't have any extra noise. It offers 1/4", RCA, and XLR inputs. Output is 150 watts per channel at 4 ohms. The sound is nice and clean, no discernable noise at the output. Definitely worth checking out.

10. lowdbrent

lowdbrent Guest

The studio that I work at has the Bryston made Lexicon amps on NS-40's. They work well.

I have DC300's. To me those are great headphone amps. The only thing that spooks me about them is there ability to shoot DC and not having any speaker protection to speak of.

I have heard that the Legacy hifi amps are good. A used Adcom amp, like the GFA250 would do you good.

I used to sell the hafler and like them also.

11. spratz

spratz Guest

I have been very happy with a JBL 6260 running my NS-10's. It is a nice compliment to my Event 20/20 BAS.

jason

12. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

I'm ebaying my RA-100...becasue I just bought an RA-300.

I love the "no fan" thing. They are simple, elegant, and highly useful.

best-
    .nick

13. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

Oh, and Bill-

If you give me about $6g's, I'd be happy to go support those fine Czechs and buy the low-end KR.

Maybe (just maybe) I could afford the shipping part. Maybe.

.nick

14. kinglenario

kinglenario Guest

i use ns10's as well. as you may already know ns10's have a history of blowing tweeters to no fault of their own. what happens is people use an amp that is 100 or 150 watts per channel, and when the amp clips your tweeters fry too. over powering your ns10's is always a very good idea, or any speaker for that matter.

i have been using a mackie FR800 for about 5 years with my ns10's and really like it. it doesn't color the sound, and you would be surprised at the quality full, rich sound ns10's can produce. most studios i go into the ns10's sound terrible, part of the idea, but it should be limmited to the monitor, not the fault of an underpowered amp.

15. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Bill,

Thanks for the information on the amp! It belongs to a good friend of mine, who happens to have several of them and I have it till I don't want it. :D

Do you know what year around these amps were produced and what did they go for?

I would love to get a manual.

I am definatly takeing the amp to the shop and get her fixed up!

16. Prolab

Prolab Guest

1970/$1350.00

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

17. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Wow, Prolab....is that correct? I had no idea they went for that much and were THAT old!

Thanks for the site. Couldn't find that model in their history section.

Very interesting about the Amp! :tu:

18. Prolab

Prolab Guest

Referring to the DC300A.

I wonder the difference of the DC300 "R" ?

DC300 in 1968 DC300A in Mid 1970

DC300AII in 1984

19. sonochrom

sonochrom Guest

For NS 10,take a Quad 405, the old english school. Very nice !

cheers, Andreas

20. JeffreyMajeau

JeffreyMajeau Active Member

NS-10's definitely love power. Anyone tried 'em with something ridiculous like a Carver Sunfire?

http://www.vxm.com/21R.69.html

I wasn't unimpressed with NS10's, but you can definitely tell when something was mixed on 'em.

Dan