1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is a stereo matched pair?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by likea45, Sep 24, 2007.

1. likea45

likea45 Guest

I know this may be a silly question, especialy coming from someone like myself whos been recording for a few years now.

I am about to purchase a "stereo matched pair" of mics. They also sell the same mic alone, I want to use these new mics for overheads but also use one of them for vocals and such...I guess my question is - would them being a matched pair stop me from using them independantly.

I'm not totaly farmiliar with this nomanclature although I see all the time.

2. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

Stereo matched pair means the frequency response on both mics are close, if not equal!!! Different manufacturers specify different tolerances.

Of course you can use one at a time.
    If it's a high end mic manufacturer, you can read the repose chart on individual mics, and make your own matched pair without paying the premium.
  3. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    This varries alot.

CHEAP stuff = could be anything.

OR for someone a "match pair" is two mics from the same production party.

In, probaby more rare cases, the matched pair is actually tested and matched...
  4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Help us out here...
    What mics are they?

This can make a difference as different manufacturers match mics using varying techniques.
  5. likea45

likea45 Guest

The mic is called a FATHEAD II by cascade microphones.

The price isnt high - but the review in tape op was very favorable and some decent names seem to use them.

Check them out here:

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT HEAD.html