1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is the Best Field Recorder set up for me?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Dan987654321, May 1, 2011.

1. Dan987654321

Dan987654321 Guest

Hello all,
    As a street musician, I am interested in knowing the best possible sound quality and set up I could have as far as using a portable mixer and recorder. For my CD project, instead of going into a studio I would like to capture my live performances with as good a quality as possible. Can someone point me in the right direction regarding best portable mixer and recorder combinations? At the least, I need to be able to record to two tracks, but four or more would be ideal. I also need to be able to apply basic EQ and compression. Finally, although this would be mainly for recording, I do have a portable amp and am wondering if a typical field recorder is also a pre-amp with outputs.
    Thanks in advance....

2. Spase

Spase Active Member

Are you spending $100 or $1000 or $10000?

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

A typical field recorder is not designed to record and simultaneously send to an amplifier. The king of the heap is the line from Sound Devices. They come in 2 channel up to 8 channel.

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I beg to differ. A dedicated recorder doesn't have latency or dropouts or other issues low end computers have. To beat the quality of a high end field recorder you have to spend some big bucks. Then there is the issue of amount of gear to cart around.

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

I would not even think about doing anything other than recording the raw tracks out in the street. You don't need a mixer or EQ during the recording - that sort of thing comes in when you are mixing down your tracks while sitting at your computer.

I recorded a street musician (by request) a few years back as one of the tests I did using the Zoom H4N I had just bought at the time. I pointed the H4N's X-Y stereo mics at the performer and used a pair of omni-directional mics (Rode NT55) on stands as a spaced ambient pair on H4N channels 3 and 4. It worked quite well for the short sections of his performance that kind-spirited passing members of the public were not voicing obscenities into the ambient mics. At mixdown of the usable bits, I brought in only a little of the ambient pair, but it was worth having them to add an extra sense of dimension.