1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is the best for recording electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Pat Lyons, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Pat Lyons

Pat Lyons Guest

When i record my band, the bassplayer goes into the board thru a direct box.

I dont have a speaker emulator or box to record my guitar with.

What is the cheapest most effective box to use get a useful guitar track when going into the board without a mic'd amp?

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I know yer lookin for a different answer than this, but the truth is,'something with a speaker'......even a Pignose sounds great properly miced.I'm sure you'll be hearing from the 'Pod' generation.

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

If you only need clean guitar, plug into the board like the bass player. But for like $15 you get one of those battery pocket sized amps with a speaker and put a mic on that. I'm serious. I recorded with one of those, it was a Marshall. The guitar players amp blew-up one night and so I grabbed the littel sucker, stuck in a closet with a 421 on it through a Neve 1272, and it blew us all away with the tone we captured. More than good enough for the demo we were doing.

4. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Cheap?

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/trash/

For $199, this thing can get you insane mileage. It's DXi software though, so you need a compatible host program.

Listen to a couple of the demo MP3s.

Edit: Woops, didn't notice "when going into the board"... my mistake. Still, worth looking into.

5. by

by Guest

The cheapest and most effective box would be the "NOBOX". It's seriouly the only thing I'd even consider for getting useful guitar tracks when I don't have a nice big amp/cab around. The things cost close to nothing, and takes up almost no space.

Other then that, why don't you try one of the BOSS distortino pedel, 20 bucks, mix it in with a bit of the direct. Dip down somewhere around 400Hz..

6. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

There is nothing like a real speaker. I'm sure that you could find something used for very little money. There must be hundreds of people who thought they could be the next Hendrix or Clapton who bought one of those "complete" guitar kits for $200.00. Pick up one of those practice amps for $15.00 from someone who found out that you actually have to practice. When I used to work at a music store we would buy them for $5.00 and re-sell for $20.00. (We used to buy the guitars for $20.00 and sell for $50.00. There was a local guy who would buy 5 at a time at $30.00 a pop once a month so he could smash them in his Who tribute show!)

Back about 30 years ago went to see Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen at a local theatre. The road crew arrived after the audience did. The drums went up, there was an Acoustic 140 for the bass player, Rhodes and Clavinet into a Twin and Champ Amps went up for the guitarists. Total set-up time about 15 minutes. Mic checks lasted about 5 minutes, the show started on time and the sound was fantastic! So you don't need a "great" amp to sound great, just the ability and knowledge to get good sound from what you have.

Peace,

Uncle Bob

:p:

7. white swan

white swan Guest

Sometimes circumstances dictate that you HAVE to record direct. (Neighbors, need total isolation so that you can redo your solos later, etc.)

That doesn't mean you can't eventually end up with a real amp sound. At a later date just run the previously recorded direct signal back through a guitar amp and mic it and rerecord it onto another track. This is a tried and true technique called "reamping". Can be used for bass and other things too.

8. Pat,
    Personally I use a Line 6 POD when I need to record guitar tracks and am not in a situation where mic'ing an amp is viable. I've also used it instead of mic'ing a cab. Bands that record in my studio often use my POD to record tracks in addition to tracks done with mic'ed up cabs or even just use the POD.

The POD does not give you a sound that's the same as a mic'ed up cab, but it does give you a "useful guitar track" in my opinion, albeit a very compressed one.

There are many inexpensive direct recording pre amps available. Which one is best for you depends on what type of guitar sounds you want. I would suggest going to a guitar store and trying a few out.

Pete.

9. Skeetch

Skeetch Guest

I'd have to agree with the "real speaker" thing. There's just nothing like a real amp pushing real air into and past a mic.

BUT, if you gotta go direct try one of the SansAmp thingies. Reasonably convincing guitar tones and the ability go direct.

10. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Member

Get a used Pod on eBay. I don't subscribe to the "Wal-mart amp and a microphone" idea. If you have to dig that deep you might as well get something that is a proven and decent solution, even if it doesn't beat mic'ed Marshall, Boogie or Soldano stacks. If you don't have an amp yet you can also consider a Line6 amp with built-in modeling. These things are amazing (and even Uncle Kurt admitted to using it live ... :cool: .

MisterBlue.

11. missilanious

missilanious Guest

PODS sound horrorible, they do not sound remotely real, they compress the hell out of whatever you put into it, if you can't record a guitar through an amp everthing is lost. But just for practice without having to lugg around your stack is where a POD really comes in handy, to use it in a studio for recording is rediculious, unless your really going for that fake digitaly emulated sound have fun. If you must go direct get a cheap direct box and some pedals.

12. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Member

You're joking, right? Foot pedals? You simply can't be serious ...

MisterBlue.

13. missilanious

missilanious Guest

Talking live not recording. Even if your going to record a demo get an amp. I realy disslike the POD sound, expecailly on distortion.

14. max stout

max stout Active Member

Hello, this is my first post so you might wanna take this with a grain of salt. I am not sure of the price but for getting a pretty good guitar sound when I don't or cant use my cabinets, I use the Tubeman Guitar recording station by Hughs & Kettner. It is very versatile and it sounds great when used for a clean or crunchy sound.

15. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

There are many ways to do what you wish. the previous posts give you some options. It amazes me (not really) how we can be so sure that only one way is right. I prefer real amps whenever possible. But to say you can never use a pod, pedal, cigarette-pack amp, etc. and to state doing so is ludicrous shows a closed mind....Geoff Emerick was told many times that he shouldn't do certain things...thankfully he didn't listen.

16. Mr. Moon

Mr. Moon Guest

I like to use my Trademark 10 (10-watt amp) mic'd with an SM57 ...I can get some pretty huge sounds out of that thing! It's also got the SansAmp XLR out, if you'd rather go that route (too sterile for my ears).

I made the mistake of using a "Rockman" once, there was NO WAY to polish the turds I produced that day!! :)

-Mr. Moon

17. timstoel

timstoel Guest

I like an old Gibson Skylark with the single 8" speaker. It's like $200 for the amp and it's the REAL deal. IMHO Marshall stacks aren't the greatest sounding amps for recording. The Gibson works well because I don't use lots of distortion and I am a tremolo slut.

Tim Stoel

18. Screws

Screws Active Member

Sam Ash, Vox Brian May, $149. I'm not kidding.

19. Mundox

Mundox Guest

It's wierd nobodyu mentioned Tech21 Sansamp for Guitar.That thing rocks.

20. Babyhead

Babyhead Guest

My favorite is a Polytone with an SM-7 and a Neve 1272 or API. You might be suprised at how many album guitar sounds came from a Champ. Small amps rock. For now, use only one mic.

Via con Dios.