1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is the best mic for kick drum?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by guitaristws2008, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Hi.I wanna get a kick drums mic.Any suggestion?I'm mainly record rock band.Punk and Metal.Thanks
  2. twon

twon Guest

there is no best, only different. all these are used by different people:
    audix d6
    akg d112
    shure beta 52
    sennheiser md421

i personally like the d6 and the 52

make your own choice

3. Gilliland

Gilliland Guest

Don't forget the ATM25, another excellent kick mic, not too expensive.
  4. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Beyer M88
    AKG D12 if you can find one (they don't make them any more)
  5. eldona

eldona Guest

kick mics

d 112 (big kick)
    sm 91 (more edge)
    sennheiser md 421
    I don't really know the others ; if you have to worl with "common" mics, allways prefer a sm 57 over a 58.
    good luck.
  6. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

The best kick drum mic is the search function....what? So yeah just do a search and you'll see this question is asked about once every three days.
  7. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Quebec, Canada
    Home Page:
    I personally use a combination of beta 52 and beta 91 for live sound or recording punk band.
  8. Frankie8

Frankie8 Guest

there is no best mic for a kick drum!
    its all about the sound of your kick.
    if your doing punk type music,you want a fast kick with lots of attack.
    so take the resonant head of the kick off.put a sand bag inside
    slightly resting on the batter head(this is the most important thing
    becouse the weight of the bag provides the solid punch your looking for,then cover the kick in the front with a moving blanket for isolation.
    the microphone doesnt matter really,a 57 or 58 is fine becouse what
    your after is the clean attack.put it 3" out and 3" off center.
    then cut around 350 and boost around 70 and THERE!!! :D
  9. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

EV RE20 hasnt been mentioned, used it quite a bit during my "Hair Band" recording days. Along with a D12, but that would date me huh???
  10. walaby

walaby Guest

Anybodey testet the Earthworks Kick-Drum Pad yet ?
    For example together with a EV RE20 ?
  11. I like the EV ND868 for kick.

There's a review of the Earthwork's drum mic set in the new Electronic Musician. They gave the kickpad a pretty favorable review.
  12. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Feb 17, 2001
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Home Page:
    I personally use the Soundelux iFET7.
  13. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Mar 22, 2004
    New Delhi, India
    hwo does the Sennheiser e602 compare ? I have heard some nice things about it. And there is this dealer over here asking me to pick it up. While I also have access to the Beta52, and have used both on occasion live, I do not enjoy the luxury of bringing these over for testing and choosing between the two.

Hard rock and metal ere mostly too...

14. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I've been using the e602 for 3 years now, great kick mic. It has more bottom end than its rivals, and there's a slight peak at 3k for click. Anyone who hasn't tried one really should.
  15. idiophone

idiophone Guest

I don't like it, but if you can only afford one, get a D112. You can EQ it to sound close to anything in rock. Boost the click, cut all the mids, bump 60 cycles, and you've got it.

My personal pick is the RE20.

16. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Mar 22, 2004
    New Delhi, India
    Cannot aford the RE20. And have heard too many people dissing the D112 for me to want to risk purchasing it (even though I have never used one). My choises have now been narowed to either the Beta52 or the e602... Still need to decide....

17. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

Jul 26, 2004
    vienna, austria
    Home Page:
    the d112 is a great mic for kick drum. i can't understand why people are dissing it. i get consistently great results with it.
  18. Michael Jordan got great results with a basketball too. Too much bounce for me.
  19. I do not own an RE-20, but I did just buy an Earthworks kickpad. And on the front cover it list the RE-20 as a recommendation to use with the kickpad.
  20. farside

farside Active Member

Sep 28, 2005
    I use the Audix D6. It has a very "modern" sound. Good for metal, hardcore, modern rock. It already has a scooped mids sound and is pretty forgiving as far as placement. The only drawback is if you need a different sound it can be difficult to EQ those mids back in.