1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what is the best mic pre ?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by locsandro, Sep 7, 2004.

1. locsandro

locsandro Guest

My setup:
    Neumann U87 and Neumann M147;
    MOTU 896HD;
    Commercials for radio and tv.
    I read several topics in this forum about pre but I haven´t decided yet.
    What is the best mic pre for my service ?
    I did like to have a clear and agressive sound. What is the mic pre combo recomended by you. Just one more thing. Did you guys have some sample of a good example of this mic preamps.
    My preference is:
    Manley VoxBox
    Amec CIB 9098
    Millennia STT-1
    Pendulum Quartet
    Universal Audio 6176
    Which of this should be the best for me ?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Of the ones you list for what you say you want the Universal Audio 6176 The rest are too sweet / neutral. When someone says, "a clear and agressive sound" , I think API and a 1176 or a DBX 160 ...

3. m oliver

m oliver Guest

I concur with the API. 525s are very much in your face and clean at the same time.

4. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Clear AND agressive seem somewhat counter intuitive.

I think you need to try things out and go with what you like. The U87 is already an aggressive microphone and can sound very shrill with for voice work (I don't recommend it for voice or vocal in general).

The UA may be a little too mushy. I found it did not have much headroom and broke up easily.

The API is probably a good idea and may be just the ticket. Try another mic like a E47 or a KSM44 or a Gefel.

You could buy the E47 and an API for the price of the U87.

Steve

5. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

I was talking to Jim Williams @ audio upgrades ---He says alot of people like the Peavey Vmp2 for voice over work.He does an upgrade on the preamp also.Ebay has one for sale

6. djui5

djui5 Guest

Yeah...the Peavey's would be nice....as well as the API's......

I use the Peavey's a lot and love em....