1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is the closest thing (new) to a Neve 1073?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by J-MADD, Jul 13, 2005.

1. J-MADD

J-MADD Active Member

All I hear about is how great this preamp was. I could never afford a real one, so I would like to know of a current manufacturer (and model) that makes a great clone. Thanks all.

Justin

2. EricK

EricK Guest

Check out Vintech. I used a pair of their X73i's last week on kick and snare. Very nice.
    http://www.vintech-audio.com/x73i_info.html

3. Jimi_London

Jimi_London Guest

You might also want to check out Seventh Circle Audio. They build three different mic pres and the one called the N72 is based on the Neve 1073. Here's a small portion of what their site says about the N72: "The circuitry of the N72 is exactly the same as that of the BA183/283 amplifier used in the 1272, 1073, and other Neve modules." You can check them out here:
    seventhcirclestudios.com

Hope this helps.

4. Ptownkid

Ptownkid Guest

Hell yeah, I'm in the middle of building a 1272 clone right now, that $*^t's gonna be hot!!!

5. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

How about the latest version of the real thing?

http://www.rupertneve.com/portico5012.html

VERY affordable

6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the Vintech x81 and love them. Close enough for me. Vintech certainly makes the best priced Neve clone that I know of.

The new Neve Portico is not even close to a 1073 and that is intentional I am quite sure. As much as it is loved, the 1073 isn't always best choice for the job.

7. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Haven't heard the Portico myself yet..... don't know if anyone in Oz has. But reliable sources say it deffinately has the "Neve sound" but more modern.... if that makes sense?

8. jamiey

jamiey Guest

Seventh Circle stuff is amazingly close, probably the closest, and is very cheap especially if you like doing it yourself. If you plan on buying them already assembled, expect to wait 6 weeks or more, as the guy is slammed. There are probably other people willing to do the work for you, though!

9. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Guest

How easy are the Seventh Circle Pre Amps to assemble. I have a little experience of soldering cables but have never assembled a circuit board. So basically how easy are they for a complete novice? I'm a DIY kind of guy and pretty fearless !!!

10. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

You can "dew-it" ! As long as you can solder fairly tight joints, and you can follow directions closely, it is cake IMO. These were my first complex PCB assemblies, too. The second module becomes easier, and by the 4th module, you feel like you are ready to open your own shop ;) .

Tim Ryan has an online forum for help and tips/mods, not to mention Tim's excellent service. I had an issue assembling the N72 (my fault - I put a nut on the wrong side of the PCB, shorting out a few components :( ) and Tim fixed the board, and had it back to me in like 3 days! Oh yeah - all that for FREE!!!

I'd recommend a descent regulated temp soldering iron for the job. I bought the Weller WES-51 for $100. Using a small cone tip is also a good idea. The less solder, the better...

Seventh Circle gets my "2 thumbs up" for sure.

:cool:

11. Clive Banks

Clive Banks Guest

Check out the Great River Preamps.i actually think they are more flexible than the Neves themselves. :cool:

12. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I LOVE my Great River MP2NV. Worth every penny! Yes, it's very flexible.
    Lots and lots of gain! And yet sounds sooo clear!!!!

13. J-MADD

J-MADD Active Member

Great river sounds like its pretty Great 8) , sorry for being corny. I would like to have that as my next pre as it sounds like it has much more color than my ISA. Thanks all.

Justin

14. MistaG

MistaG Guest

Not true, they are very similar in sound. Perhaps not in versatility but the sound is similar.