1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is the Grace 101's WARM counterpart?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by LCD, Jan 25, 2005.

1. LCD

LCD Guest

That Grace is a REALLY transparent pre... what is comparable to it (price and QUALITY) that is a warmer preamp?

Thanks in advance,
    LCD :cool:

2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Look into the Millennia TD-1. It has what Millennia calls "Twin-Topology". Basically it's a solid-state AND a tube mic pre in one. You can select between either pre stage depending on the color or lack thereof, that you want.

I use one every day and love it. Also, it has a great eq section onboard. In solid-state mode it has a crystal clear signal path. In the vacuum tube mode the clearity is still there but it has a touch of "warmth". (I kinda hate that word)

Chris

3. LCD

LCD Guest

^^^ Good Lord, LilDog... that sounds like exactly what I need... going to check that out!

**Edit** After looking at it further its a bit out of my price range... :(

Thanks

4. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

It's money well spent. After owning a studio for 21 years, I've learned that it's better to save up and buy the good stuff then to get something fast and out-grow it.

My .02
    Chris

5. LCD

LCD Guest

This is true... but due to my current financial status... saving up $1300 isn't an option right now.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

FWIW, in my experience the Grace stuff is indeed rather "hard" sounding [I guess some people call that 'transparent'... I'm just not one of them]. I don't know what the Grace goes for [obviously, under $1,300]... but the Groove Tubes "Brick" goes for $400... and it's a pretty musical sounding unit... whether or not it will work for your applications is another story.

7. DaveG

DaveG Guest

Hey Fletcher did you find the Brick noisy.