1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is the Value of a Great River MP2 ?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by teeno7, May 22, 2010.

1. teeno7

teeno7 Guest

Hi there,

I know it is not for sale anymore but is a very highly sought after and apparently pure sounding mic pre.
    How do they sound compared to the original MP-2?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

To the best of my memories, these particular preamps were designed as clones, as close as clones can get, to a class A Neve preamp similar to the 1073 preamp section. And so I gave you all those transformers that has a great deal to do with its character. It's not your only choice. Full-bodied fully colored. Transparent? Hardly.

Neve & API owner
    Mx. Remy Ann David

3. teeno7

teeno7 Guest

i thought the mp-2 was the first preamp by great river built from the ground up - and the "nv2" is the neve clone with some noise rejection etc.

4. BusterMudd

BusterMudd Active Member

You are correct. (Well, I don't know about "noise rejection" but yes the MP-2NV is the Neve clone.)

The original MP-2 was more neutral, less (for lack of a better word) "hairy" than the MP-2NV.

5. rick-slo

rick-slo Active Member

I have a MP-2MH which I bought new a few years ago. It is now no longer manufactured. It is very clean and transparent and has enough clean gain to work well with ribbon mikes. The MP-2NV came out later and is based about the Neve 1073 design but with a number of changes for a clearer sound.