1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what is this "speed" knob on my ashly sc-68?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by shmuu102, Apr 30, 2003.

1. shmuu102

shmuu102 Guest

ok, i purchaced a couple of eq's on ebay. one was an ashly sc-66a, which i like. ( if anyone knows anything about the balanced xlr mods to this unit please drop me a line). the other, getting to the point, was a 7 band notch filter ( model sc-68). it seems like a straight forward cut-only eq, except one knob that is labled "speed" (slow to fast of course). two other sets of switches labled setup and operation are almost as baffling.
    i would have plugged it in to play with it, but it is in need of a new power cord. any insight would be helpfull ( and possibly entertaining) thanks.
  2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    It sounds like this is dynamic filter. Which means it is a filter that kicks in as a certian threshold is reached. It's sort of a compressor that works on a specific frequency. Kurt
  3. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Kurt: You mean similiar usage as a de-esser?
  4. Roly

Roly Guest

Perhaps the "setup" switch is for listening to the filters only as in what's been cut and "operate" switch is everything minus filters. That's how my BSS DPR 901 works.
  5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    Yes! Othewise known as a frequency dependent compressor...
  6. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2001
    :) Tag!

Parametric Notch Filter
    circa 1982

The SC-68 Parametric Notch Filter is a cut-only equalizer which is used to insert
    relatively sharp dips in the frequency spectrum. As such, it is useful for removing
    spot frequencies which cause problems such as feedback, cabinet resonances, hum or
    TV sync signals, and single "hot" notes on musical instruments.

Amplitude: 0 to -30dB
    Frequency: (low) 16Hz - 800Hz
    (3/low-mid) 48Hz - 2.4KHz
    (3/hi-mid) 160Hz - 8KHz
    (high) 480Hz - 24KHz
    Bandwidth: 0.3 octave - 0.03 octave
    Input Z: 10K ohm active balanced bridging
    Max Input-Output Level: +20dB (+5dB at max cut, full sharp)
    Frequency Response: +/-0.5dB, 20 - 20KHz
    Output Z: 50 ohm, term with 600 ohm or more
    Hum and Noise: -87dBV (eq in), -95dB (eq out)
    THD: <0.05%, +10dBV, 20 - 20KHz
    Power: 120VAC, 50 - 60HZ, 5W
    Shipping Weight: 12 lbs.

:) I bet the thing fades in and out of operation at speed set by the control. There is an insertion loss involved here too, of about 8 to 10db.

Love this old gear,

7. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Got it! Thanks.