1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what is this technique called?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by AKR, Aug 22, 2006.

1. AKR

AKR Active Member

it's usually used in electronica, where an instrument/voice cuts in and out. how is this done and what is it called? thanks, Reuben

2. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

That is easily drawn in, in a DAW and automation handles it from there. You can also try to sync a console with MIDI mute automation, but I think you will find it a bit slow. the DAW is best.

3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

A long time ago in a decade far far away(the 80's), I had the very same question. At the time, we found it was being done with a keyed gate. The gate was keyed off of a hihat and the guitar was running through the gate. It was cool.

I have done the mute-on/mute-off thing before but there are some plugins that you can use for this now that work well. I believe one of them is called Stutter. I've seen the effect in other VSTs as well.

4. rmeulen

rmeulen Active Member

you mean extreme tremolo?

5. AKR

AKR Active Member

never really thought of it like that, but i guess it could be considrered that (i don't know if that's your term, or the true term). basically, the same thing that a guitarist can do by striking a note, sustaining it, but flicking the pickups on and off to give the effect of the note being struck repeatedly (think sarah mclachlan - sweet surrender).

i believe the stutter effect is what i'm looking for. i love that shiz. thanks folks, Reuben

6. AKR

AKR Active Member

hmm, according to this, i don't think the stutter effect is what i'm looking for :

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--StutterEffect(Stuttering)

what i'm looking for is where it cuts in and out.

7. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Your right. I blew it. I said the wrong thing. Instead of stutter, I meant chopper.

Here's ya a link to some links to some chopper efx.

[DLMURL="link removed[/DLMURL]

8. AKR

AKR Active Member

sweet, thanks. oh, it looks like cubase SX has the chopper effect. yet another reason to order me a copy.