What is Trim plug in (in PT)

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by Slavebell, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

I mean what does it do? And when to use it and why?

2. jordy

jordy Active Member

i don't use protools, but i believe it may be used to prevent signal peakage?...or maybe somethin to do with limiting.

3. StephenMC

StephenMC Member

Have you tried it?

Gain and trim tend to be interchangeable. I'm not sure the difference, if anybody wishes to enlighten?

4. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

yeah i did and yeah it may be used to prevent signal peakage but why is it useful?

5. jordy

jordy Active Member

....umm i'll try not to sound sarcastic, but maybe it is in fact useful to prevent signals from peaking.....i don't know- maybe like an input that you got a little too hot or somethin???

6. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

lol my eng. isn't to good so i can't ask a decent guestion!!!lol
    Anyway i saw a video where someone use trim plug in when mixing drums (but he didn't got any "too hot" inputes... So why he used it?

I'm rely sorry, i just cant explain my question better...

7. natural

natural Active Member

The trim plugin has many uses. But the one that's most helpful is to adjust the overall vol of the track after you have done volume automation.
    Hopefully that is easier to understand than the way the manual explains it?

8. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Trim is a gain offset that is not effected by automation. All automation remains in place and is offset by the amount of trim applied.

Trim is generally used for overall global adjustments after a mix is completed.

e.g. The producer comes back after the final and says; "We need a kick/bass up mix (+3db), a vocal up (+3db) and a vocal minus.

You make 2 passes using trim and 1 pass using mute automation. Viola! done, done and done.