1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What is your favorite condensor mic?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by anonymous, Apr 15, 2005.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Reguardless of the price tag. What is your favorite condensor mic? Not because it can do alot of various types of instruments. But mainly because of it's great sound.
    1st question...
    What is your favorite condensor mic?
    2nd question...
    What condensor mic do you wish you had?

2. Dave62

Dave62 Guest

Neumann U89i . Its warm with incredible body. 5 patterns and a 6 db pad. I have two from the mid 80's and they still sound great on just about anything. waaaarrrrrm!!

In the dreaming side of things, I would like the Neumann dummy head stereo mic, just to capture ambience's and location sounds.

In the weird catagory, we did a blind mic test with three other engineers on a very dynamic female singer with 4 mics at once, the U89i, a Neumann 103, a Shure 3000 and a Shure 58, all run through a pair of Drawmer 1960 stereo mic pre's. The U89 won, followed by the 58! then the 103 then the 3000.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Best all around and cheap ATM 4033.

My favorite's C12 / C24 / C12a.

4. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

My favorite based on current budget and usage is AT4050.

I agree with Kurt, C12, C24 if I had more money than God.

5. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, well.......

My favorite mic is the TLM-103... but that's simply because it's the best mic I own.

As for what I drool over....pretty much anything that's better..... but gee, I'd love a Brauner VM1 :cool:

6. StevenGurg

StevenGurg Guest

for condensor mics, I love my Lawson L47MP, which Gene Lawson tweaked a bit to make it even more appropriate for my spoken word recordings.
    SG

7. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

I agree with steven on the L47 , it's the greatest mic i've ever worked with , i took mine to another studio last week and the assistents were amazed with its big sound ,i also love the vintage u67 , very sweet mic

8. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I like the Manley Gold Reference series cuz they're seriously "Pimpin" mics with their PHAT gold plating! (Actually, it's a damn good mic, but not at the top of my list.)

I agree with Kurt - the 4033 or the 4047 are some damn fine mics - regardless of price.

Cost no object - Gefell UM900 - this is the coolest LDC and slicker than snot on a doorknob. It also sounds so damn good, it's hard to imagine you're listening to a microphone.

Favorite all-arounder though - Schoeps CMC6 MK2h - great for voice, guitar, orchestra, drums, camel farts, anything you want to throw at it.

J.

9. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Audio Technica LDCs. Since I bought a 4060, I'm beginning to appreciate the 4047 more and more.

I wouldn't turn down three Neumann M-50s. Top of my current lust list is the Microtech Gefell UM92.1.

Now at the risk of a flame war, the Neumann M-149 (no, that '1' was not a typo!) would be a nice Christmas present :lol:

John Stafford

10. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

U67, U47, Elam250, M50, M49, Elam 251, C12

11. JeffSanders

JeffSanders Active Member

My favorite mic is the AT 4047SV.

If I had the dough, I'd love to get the AT 4060!

12. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

Favorite mic: Schoeps CMC6/MK4 (or MK41)
    Favorite mics that I don't have (that I wish I did): Microtech Gefell UM900 or M295.

13. J-MADD

J-MADD Active Member

Hey Kurt or anyone for that matter,
    How's the ATM 4033 for vocals? I'm using an AKG 414 B-ULS (1986 model) and it is too brittle sounding.

Justin

14. Fruition2k

Fruition2k Active Member

Favorite condenser?
    Neumann KM54...or the 56 - very hard to make them sound bad..
    Wish for...?
    AKG C24...once you hear it on a Steinway you're never the same
    afterwards, especially when you're assisting Mack Emerman.

15. idiophone

idiophone Guest

I don't have any experience with the high-end stuff, but I love my BLUE Mouse. How many mics sound good on vocals, acoustic guitar, AND kick drum?

Other than that, when I don't know what to put up, I put up a 414, and it always sound good.

16. Johnson Cabasa

Johnson Cabasa Active Member

my partner in our studio just got a set of gefell m-930's and i think they're amazing. mmuch betternthan all the restof the mics we have cexcept for the um-900

17. Todzilla

Todzilla Active Member

Dave62,

The U-89 is my fave as well. In fairness, it's my only super-high end mic, so I haven't toyed around with the other big boys.

I like the AKG 414s as well