1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What kind of effect is this?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by daze, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. daze

    daze Guest

    Hi, I need some help. Here I´ve uploaded a short intro of the smashing pumpkins song "white spider":


    At around 00:12 there´s a certain effect, and I´d like to know how this is done. It sounds like there are very small breaks inserted, in very small intervals. Or some very small part is copied several times? Any of you freaks know how this is done exactly? Are there perhaps any effect presets in programs like logic or cubase to create this? Thanks for any hints.
  2. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    Yo! I don't recall how that song begins.

    If you can, find a better place to upload files to. That site wants my email address, regular address, first born male son, 35% of my paycheck and I just don't want to give all that info out.
  3. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    I don't like that site either and won't use it.

  4. daze

    daze Guest

    sorry, that link is now expired for some reason. but usually it´s no problem to download, they don´t want any information.

    anyway, i uploaded it again on rapidshare, this should work, just scroll down and click on "free" and you can download the file:

    thank you
  5. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    What file? You really aren't thinking this through very carefully. If you could learn how to express yourself better, you may learn how to re-create the effect?

    Highly effected
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  6. daze

    daze Guest

    I fail to see where the problem is, but to avoid further complications a friend of mine uploaded it for me on youtube. no downloading, just click the link and you can listen to it.


    again, the part with this certain effect is at 00:12, it is obviously digitally edited, so if anybody knows how this is done exactly I´d be very thankful.
  7. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    That effect that you desire is a rhythmic effect available in many software programs. In Sony's Sound Forge, that effect is referred to as "gapper/snipper". The gap and length of the chunk are variable and can be tuned to the beat, which you heard in that recording. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that in Audition, conveniently? Not sure about ProTools or other packages? Although that effect, I have used in Sony's Sound Forge before since it is so easy to pull up. You can also create a noise gate that is triggered from a side chain input from a pulse generator that would also create that same effect. You could also utilize a stereo bouncing time delay where you only take 1 track output while muting the second. So there are numerous different ways to accomplish that same effect. A better command of your equipment and your imagination is all that is necessary.

    Bouncing from reality to indecision
    Ms. Remy Ann David

Share This Page