1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What kinda music do you record?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Shanie, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Shanie

Shanie Guest

I havnt seen many posts about this. Ive been reading messages and hearing opinions on what everyone thinks is good or bad, especially for tight budgets. But what kind of music do you record mostly, and like to record?
  2. geeknik

geeknik Guest

mostly rock, metal, hardcore stuff..

trying to break into the bluegrass market...but havent had the opportunity
  3. Jman

Jman Guest

geeknik.... lol that was random, rock/hardcore but I'm trying to break into the bluegrass market? lol completely different is all haha
  4. gilligan204

gilligan204 Guest

if this post is supposed to pose the question of what types of music do the engineers on this forum record then I will give you my answer.

then if anybody cares i record all kinds of ethnic music , traditional Aboriginal, Ukrainian , Celtic, Polka etc.
  5. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

Anything with $$$ behind it.

Wait, no, not true...I don't discriminate but prefer to steer clear of the hip-hop market.
  6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I record monkeys....just ask anyone.............
  7. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Apr 9, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Home Page:
    Mostly idiots, wannabes and hasbeens back when I was recording music. Rock of all kinds, Rap & Hip-Hop were the main cash cows.

Now that I'm into film & video mostly voices for ADR and VO, footsteps, punches, clothing and other Foley in the studio, and occassionaly into the field to record ambiences, vehicles, trains, crowds, etc.
  8. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    I record and engineer anything and everything but keep away from sample loop based projects. I usually tell people unless they are an announcer, if you can't sing or play an instrument, go find somebody else! I'm not really interested in working with talent less, talent free, Diet talent, lowfat talent people and I certainly don't make the mistake by referring to them as " artists", which those kinds are not.

I'm a talented engineer and demand the same from my clients.
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  9. DaveDog recorded The Monkeys
    That is AWESOME.

metal, progressive rock, & instrumentals.
  10. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Rock and Pop.

I've done it all, but will not do Hip-Hop or Rap anymore.
  11. Reggie

Reggie Distinguished Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Metal, Rock, Pop-Rocks, Emo, Screamo, punk, experimental. Probably metal is what I am getting known for mostly. I would do hip-hop if the dude was cool enough and not a thug. Recording sample-based music bores me to tears at the moment, but I have a friend that I help out with it.
    I also prefer recording real instruments.
  12. paul_dumbell

paul_dumbell Guest

punk, rock, garage, and 60s trash stuff. I wont touch hiphop with a 100 foot pole...unless the guy gives me a les paul as a down payment.
  13. lung

lung Guest

guitars and hip hop recording

anyone got any tips,on how best to blend in heavy guitars into a hip hop track, not sure if heavy comp is the right way to go or keep it light and eq them
  14. MadMax

MadMax Distinguished Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Sunny & warm NC
    Home Page:
    Kinda' in the same mode as most of the posts...

My mainstay is Southern Gospel, Rock, Bluegrass, Country... occassionally metal. Not too many REAL rockers here.

The operative word round' here is $$$. If you got cash, I've got available tracks and gear.

15. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Grandville, Michigan
    Home Page:
    I mainly do hip-hop and R&B, but I try not to stay on the "norms" of what people comsider to be hip-hop music. I will make a hip-hop beat and put a nice guitar riff into it, or some strings, just anything that will make my style of hip-hop music different than what's out there today, to try and create my own sound. But my question is "What are the reasons some of you stay away from doing hip-hop music? I'm curious as to what the answers may be.
  16. Reggie

Reggie Distinguished Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Nothing racist here. Dem fools just crazy most times. Difficult to work with; too many thugs. And they usually don't have as much money as they rap about...
  17. mpd

mpd Guest

Music? Nope. I have a small studio for recording VO, mainly for elearning and multimedia.
  18. paul_dumbell

paul_dumbell Guest

BigTrey wrote:

I stay away from hiphop mostly because I live in germany and you should NOT have to listen to german hip hop...I have done a few hiphop productions, but since its mostly just loops and the guys usually just need me for tracking vocals, and pumping up thier weak mixes that they do on the 'puter I dont ever feel SOOOO involved. Its easy bucks, but....money aint everything... Im kinda arrogant about what Ill do. I have to LIKE it to get into it. I wouldnt say no to tracking public enemy...but I saw them live in the 80s and loved it. Newer groups...dunno. Its not my cup-o-tea. If they used live drums, I would be on that $*^t in a new york miniute. I just like toys that I can touch I guess.
  19. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I'm doing alt pop, rock, blues, R&B, gospel, progressive jazz, folk, Western. Haven't had to do any Nashville twang, Thank God. I will not do rap or hip-hop. It's musically regressive. It lost it's novelty a long time ago, I'm talking Grand Master Flash days.
  20. LVC_Jeff

LVC_Jeff Guest

Well, I just recorded my first track earlier today. Which consisted of me sitting in my dorm room playing Amazing Grace on my bass. Run through the M-Audio MobilePre USB I just bought used from a friend. Haha, what a high-dollar system.