1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What Mic PreAmps Does Everyone use or recomend?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by trojanso9, Jan 10, 2006.

1. trojanso9

trojanso9 Guest

list your PreAmps that you use or Recomend

2. I don't know about everyone else, but my go-to is a Telson TMA-1.

3. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

I like the Apeve 5173.

It sounds much better than the Napi 1012.

Try to get one with a Decepticon transformer, or a G-Obot if you're low on funds.

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Gentlemen, gentlemen,gentlemen, why is always left up to me, MODerAtoR Man, to correct you guys in situations such as this? Have I not been patient ,ne: over-the-top accepting of your little jibes and antics?

Why oh why do you put me in this position?

EVERYONE knows the Violet Line Super Stereo Dalliator is the FINEST machine that money can buy.

So get it RIGHT ya Heebs....

(yer friend, dogg)

5. trojanso9

trojanso9 Guest

what are some good tube mic preamps for a reasonable price

6. McCheese

The VLSSD has the crappiest stereo imagining I've ever heard. Also everthing above 14k sounds tinny and high pitched. Not to mention that if you engage the HPF at 400Hz, it just sucks the low end right out of everything.

7. i have these
    vintech x73i
    daking 5227 i think that is the model
    universal la 610
    buzz audio dual channel preamp
    and some art tps

8. Davedog

Ya see what I have to deal with here children? And its everyday!

I got my VLSSD with the 809 mod and it sounds great. Well worth the extra $462.78...IMHO.

9. dave can you send me alink to the premapo you are talking about, i am always up to see something new!!!

10. McCheese

Yeah Dave, post a link. :twisted:

11. trojanso9

trojanso9 Guest

what does everyone think of the

ART TPS II

or the

PREsonus BlueTube

12. Davedog

Cheesy Mayor, I was actually looking into the Apeve and the Napi models you were toutin.....sport.

13. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

OMGPMP! :lol:

It's hard as hell to find a Telson in decent working order is the only problem with it. Can't even find much mention of it on google.
    You guys are something.

OK guy, here are some buzzwords:
    Neve, API, Manley, Universal Audio, John Hardy, Groove Tubes, GML, Avalon, Great River, um um, running out of ideas here, but any of these would be recommended.

14. i have 2 tps way better than the blue tube i have owned both

15. trojanso9

trojanso9 Guest

see, i am new to all of this i dont understand what the purpose is of having two preamps? do you use both at once or do they have different purposes?

i am looking for way to get a good vocal sound

16. well i like the variable impedance and as you upgrade your studio you will find them goo d for secondary things like scratch tracks and if a drums has like 90 toms, they are good to have around, trust me get the tps. the blue tube i have owned and wasnt too thrilled with it

17. Davedog

Ok I'll quit jackin around for a minute and address this as simply as I can.

The preamp is only a 'part' of the recording chain.

A chain will typically include a mic, a pre,and perhaps some type of process or control device and something that records the signal.

The VERY most important part of your chain is the source.

If it doesnt sound good to begin with, theres no possible way ANY gear is going to resolve the bad sound.

Matching the mic to the singer is another important part that gets very little attention.

A GREAT singer...ie: one who has control, tone, and knowledge of mic technique will sound good on virtually ANY signal chain.

Those that need help need to address the basics before making gear decisions.

Theres a common thread running through todays information highway on a lot of these BB's that seems to indicate that one needs to have a tube something to make vocals sound 'good'...While this may or may not be true, the environment the vocals is tracked in has as much if not more to do with the sound than the advent of a tube in the chain.

See kids.....dadogg is 'old skool'....sh*t in=sh*t out....

So...search for a mic that you can learn to use and sounds 'right' for your purpose. Find a mic pre that compliments the mics' 'signature'..This may include a tube but more than likely a simple voltage in =voltage out situation without too many artifacts will get you closer to what you're looking for than a fruitless search for that silver bullet piece of gear. Look at your environment you are recording in. Learn about sound control. For vocals you dont have to have a huge area, but you have to have control of its tones and standing waves,reflections and flutters. The human voice contains so many overtones and paying attention to the physics of capturing these is free money.....

nuff said....

18. trojanso9

trojanso9 Guest

so

so eightson. in order to do scratch tracks you need another pre amp?

19. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

This is SOOOOOO true. Stupid VLSSD has absolutely no low end above 14k. Annoys me no end. It's a toy, Ddog. a TOY. Ya hear me??

Cheese: have you ever tried using the LPF at 400Hz? 8)

20. You only need one preamp, can't plug a mic into two preamps at the same time, can ya? NO! And if you score a Telson you WILL get a good vocal sound.