1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What MICPRE should i buy ?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Gabriel Sousa, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Gabriel Sousa

Gabriel Sousa Member

Hello,

I need to buy a VERY GOOD micpre.
    Dont know what to buy...

I was thinking in SUmmit MPC-100a, but dont have EQ.

or avalon vt737sp or UA 6176

Whats you opinion ? :confused:

thanks

2. AEW

AEW Guest

Highly recommend the UA6176 over the Avalon 737, especially for vocals. The compressor on the UA (1176LN)is the big feature on this box, EQ is basic, Pre is nice but a little noisy due to the tube I suspect. Summit?

Nick

3. Gabriel Sousa

Gabriel Sousa Member

http://www.summitaudio.com
    go see it

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

not sure what the pricetag is on that summit but I would certainly do alot of shopping before dropping $1k+ have you listened to BA's or Vintechs? API's if your wanting decent "rock-N-roll" pres specially for drums :)

whats your application? a universal pre?....vocals? strings? drums? do you *need* an EQ or compressor in the box?

There are soo many options out there in the $1k-$1.5k range.

Check out the tech talk forum....alot of us are always in the process of building our own pre's...I know some neve projects are about to start, API and im about ready to build a few original 610A's :) you could probably do 2 or 3 for the price of one :D

5. Gabriel Sousa

Gabriel Sousa Member

Rock, pop/rock.

I need more for vocals, and i need Compressor and EQ.

6. Jbuntz

Jbuntz Guest

6176 is dirtier than the 737. But that's not a bad thing. They both have a good compressor, but an 1176 is hard to pass up...especially if you dont already have one. Plus you can use the 1176 as a standalone unit by flipping a switch. The Avalon has a better eq. Much more flexible. It's also probably a bit silkier with a more round low end. The opto compressor is more geared toward vocals, and probably more transparent, but certainly can be used for other things. An 1176 makes things sound a bit more aggressive.

7. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

I guess I don't understand why you need an EQ or a compressor in a 24 bit world, other than as an effect.

I would worry more about what you want the pre to do, if it comes with an EQ then thats gravy.

I have UA M610, beutiful aggressive sound
    Earthworks 1022 - super clean amazing for acoustic instruments

Focusrite Red 1 - probably my best sounding general purpose pre.

Sebatron vmp200e - a very very sweet tube pre. has lots of charactor.could become my favorite mic pre soon.

Back to my earlier comments: I guess I can see using a little EQ when tracking and the UA610 and Sebatron both have very nice EQ for a little touchup.

I just don't see any need to use an external compressor anymore. If you track at -18dBFS you get 20dB of headroom, 90 dB of S/N and your pre gets to run in its absolute sweet spot. What could be better??

I sold all my compressors.

8. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

As someone who used to own a Summit Audio MPC-100A I can tell you that the mic pre is very good but the compressor sucks. If you want the same kind of mic pre sound of the MPC-100a (which is a variant of the 990 opamp) get John Hardy M1. You need to decide if you want colored, color-less, or something in the middle. If your looking for both a mic pre and compressor and maybe even an eq as well, there are less choices but still some very good choices.

I own and really like these:
    Vintech X81 (Neve 1073 type of sound with 4-band eq)
    Focusrite Red-7 Micpre/Comp/De-esser/Exciter The real workhorse for anything.
    API 512C micpre and 525 comp. Jaw Dropping big & Phat.
    AMEK CIB Micpre/Comp/Eq One of the best channel strips made. The eq alone is worth the price.
    Manley VoxBox Tube Micpre/comp/eq. Nice , warm tube tone.
    And not quite as good as the others but the best bang for the buck, Joe Meek VC1Qcs Micpre/comp/eq/exciter.

Don't think that you have to have an all-in-one-box. Mix and match offers great flexability.

9. Screws

Screws Active Member

If you're considering the 737 you're in the $2k price range. If you can squeeze $500 more, look at the Millennia Media Origin STT-1. Many options in one box - tube or solid state pre, opto compressor and eq.

Check it out here:

http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/origin.shtml

10. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Hi AudioGaff:
    How do you like that x81. I've never actually used one but on theory I love it. I've always preferred the class 'A' neve sound of 1073'ish pre's but when it comes to kick and other things, liked the EQ on the class 'A/B' 1081's. So a unit (even if it is "new") that combined these and at a reasonable cost would be a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

11. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

the X81 is class A right ? so it would be like a 1073 and an 1081 combined ?

12. missilanious

missilanious Guest

For a little over $1k, Universal Audio 2108, excellent for drums and just as satifying with vocals. The soft saturation sounds great and you can get a great range of tones from this pre.

13. AudioGaff

I think it's great, and find that it indeed sounds like a 1073. But I should also say that solunds to me like a new 1073. Meaning that it ever so slightly sounds cleaner, faster, harder. Old 1073's often don't even sound the same, but the ones my partner has sound more slow, lazy and have a little more variance in tone when you hit them hard or very hard transients but I'm talking about some very minor/subtle differences.
    Yes. The X73 and X81 have the same mic pre. The X81 has the same kind of eq as the 1081.

14. howlindog1

howlindog1 Guest

Focusrite RED7 does everything superbly! except clean it's own scratchy pots! lol

15. AudioGaff

I've had my RED7 for over 6-years and the pots on mine still all work fine. My Brother has owns the RED1, RED2, RED3 for almost as long and has never had any problem with scratchy pots either.

16. howlindog1

howlindog1 Guest

I have had my RED7 and RED2 for 8 years now...after a year, pots on both started to get scratchy, called Focusrite service(before digi.)
    and was told, the pots could have sat around on the factory shelves for a couple years in humid conditions before units were built,and good luck! guess I'm still suffering the trauma of breakin these beasts open and servicing them myself!
    Pots have worked fine since. Cramolin Gold I think it was.

17. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Steve,
    I am with you when it comes to the Sebatron VMP.. I gave it such a good review that no one wanted to believe me. I was almost crucified for saying so many the good things about it but everyone is coming around now that they are getting a chance to hear it! I am currently waiting for a Sebatron "Thorax" to be sent to me.. I am very interested to see what Sebatrons slant on EQ and compression is..

As far as the Focusrite Red, check out Joe Malones JLM TMP8! This is an 8 channel compact mic pre that is of the "Red Range" type / design. I recived one the other day and I have to say it is another great mic pre.. Those Aussies seem to have this mic pre design thing down pat! The TMP8 retails at $1850 USD (I know it's not peanuts but that's for 8 channels!). You can learn more at the JLM website, http://www.jlmaudio.com ... Kurt

18. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

If you want solid state, i would recommend the API channel strip thingy (the model number escapes me) that has a mic pre, 550EQ and compressor.

if you want all tube (and, unlike most others, REALLY all tube) the Manley VoxBox is terrific (at commensurate cost)

does it have to be all in one?
    Buy a Geoff Daking mic pre/eq and add an API 525 compressor or one of Geoff's compressors and have a great all discrete chain that can do anything.

19. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

No one has mentioned the Vipre yet...or a DWFearn.....Or how about a Drawmer 1969 merc.ed.

Its an endless list...the Daking stuff is stellar as is the John Hardy and I am very impressed with the Millennia gear.

20. Gabriel Sousa

Gabriel Sousa Member

I need a nice Tube sound :)

With Compressor and EQ.