1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What program do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by clark31, May 23, 2007.

1. clark31

clark31 Guest

Hey guys, I'm looking to record drums and guitar, what program would be good for this? I'd like good quality. Highest price I'll pay is $450 US. Thanks.
  2. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    Cubase and Sonar and both great programs and will be able to handle exactly what you need. There are plenty of others out there as well.

You will likely also need an audio interface into the computer. You don't want to record via any standard computer audio card.
    Lots of these audio interfaces come bundled with software. If I were you, I'd shop for an interface that filled my needs that came with bundled software.

If you are unsure, for guitar, you really only need one input. But if you are recording live drums, you may need more than that. I'd recommend looking for one that has at least 4 inputs...preferrably with mic preamps.

There are lots of similar topics here, do a bit of searching and you'll get tons of information regarding the different programs and audio interfaces.
  3. clark31

clark31 Guest

thanks ill search for the topics
  4. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Home Page:
    you didn't mention I/O and converters. Do you have that? You are looking at more than 450 if you don't, unless you buy a Digidesign M-Box or something.
  5. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Home Page:
    If you're just talking software I'd check out Mackie's Tracktion and if you need inputs, perhaps one of their FW mixers.
  6. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

Mar 3, 2006
    big up to the mackie onyx stuff ... great hardware, and tracktion is wicked easy software to use!

cubase is a real tough learning curve, it's not terribly intuitive.

sonar is a good bet because its a little bit more user-friendly.

logic is where it's at though!