1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what should i buy?!?!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by skankin, Dec 19, 2005.

1. skankin

skankin Guest

well have a low budget and im have about $100 (i know its not much) but i was wondering what i could buy to make a driffrence in my sound.

i have an echo mona running into my pc with some sm-57's and 58's.

what would be ideal to improve my sound?

thank's

2. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

What's wrong with your sound? Specifically.

3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Thanx for the wildy open question!

What's wrong with your sound? Is it flat? dry? boomy? washed out? too quiet? too loud?
    What software do you currently have/use?
    There are SOOOO many things and since we don't have any info, it's hard for us to recommend anything to you.

Buy some good recording software. I know 100 bucks won't get you Pro-Tools but you could probably get an older version of Cakewalk or Cubasis VST and experiment with some different types of plug-ins: EQs, reverbs, whatever.

Another possibility is a new mic. There's not a lot you can buy for $100 that's going to make a huge difference, but different mics have different sounds. Just try them out and see what appeals to your senses.

4. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

What's wrong with your sound? Specifically.

If you want a direct answer to your question as is, I would say that for $100 the best improvement to your sound would come from some books on recording and mixing.

Not much in the way of gear for $100 that will be any sort of improvement.

EDIT: Curse you pr0gr4m and your speedy posting.

5. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

sounds like you need a preamp but its hard to find anything for a hundred bucs... well, maybe a B* or a tube mp would be better than nuthn' - that's about what a C note will get ya

6. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

ARRRGH!