What standard for mastering?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by pedalsteelman, Nov 21, 2007.

1. I haven't had time to search this subject here, but what is the prefered standard to send mixes to a mastring studio on cdr?
    I have a fostex writer and have lots of options. The mastering studio that I am using has suggested that I burn them at 88.2/24 bit.
    Is there any advantage to this higher sample rate?
    The reason I ask is because I sent them a sample disc and they can't read it fully. It only plays half way through.
    I may resort to mixing all the tracks and taking my masters and the machine down to the studio and taking the digital out to their system.
    Bear in mind that I am mixing from 24 track analog tape, so it is analog up until this point.
    Having done some tests. I can't hear the difference from burning at 44.1/24 bit. and even the cda standard sounds good to me.
    Any advice?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Are you talking about sending the data as files or as CD audio (.cda)? You didn't say which mastering studio you are using, but the ones I deal with always take data as files. I zip the files, not for space reasons but to get an extra level of checksumming. I send them two copies burnt on different burners. For long pieces (symphonic movements etc) that generate files greater than 700MB I burn to data DVDs.

3. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

CDDA is a nono for mastering.

4. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

If you're comfortable at 44.1/24 (as you darn well should be) then go with that. If they want to upsample for anti-aliasing issues, they can.

44.1/24 is more than wonderful. 88.2 is fine also. If you have the slightest "distrust" in capturing/writing 88.2, 44.1 is absolutely fine.

5. Thanks for that info Massive. I forgot to say that these are wav files that I am burning.