1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what wire to use? RCA to XLR/TRS

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ThirdBird, Jan 2, 2010.

  1. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    1) going from "Realistic" Stereo Audio Selector - RCA Outs (not sure if balanced or unbalanced outs, cheapo from radioshack)

    2) to BEHRH(*&$&($ Truth B2031A monitors - can accept xlr balanced or 1/4TRS unbalanced

    What kind of cable would I want to buy?

  2. jg49

    jg49 Well-Known Member

    First off "1/4TRS unbalanced" leaves me wondering. TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connections are usually used for balanced cables, these are the same three wires being used by the xlr connection just in a different format. So if the monitors have a 1/4" jack input that says unbalaned you can use (one) rca to (one) 1/4" TS (tip sleeve) and you will be fine. You can either buy a converter plug RCA to 1/4" mono female (you will need two R & L) and then plug in a 1/4" male/male cable into each or you can buy specialized cords. If this is a continuation of your previous monitor/stereo hookup thread I am not certain that your devicing is really correct so I would opt for the converter plugs as these may see a future use, I keep a lot of these different plugs in my bag of tricks as I never know on a gig what I might be forced to hookup.
  3. djmukilteo

    djmukilteo Well-Known Member

    I would take a nice quality RCA to RCA patch cable (whatever length you need) out from the RS Realistic and then get a couple of those RCA to 1/4" TS adapters into the speakers/monitors and away you go.
    Keep it Simple
  4. jg49

    jg49 Well-Known Member

    Which is basically what I was saying just has the adapter at the monitor instead of the junction box.
  5. djmukilteo

    djmukilteo Well-Known Member

    Ya sorry jg....what he said...LOL
  6. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    Sorry, you guys are right.. I meant TS instead of TRS. I was going order the specialized cable, but now am intrigued of just buying the adapters for that versatility. Three more questions:

    1) Are their any drawbacks of using a TRS instead of TS?

    2) How much noise or signal reduction will there be with using multiple adapters? Would it be negligible?

    3) Any thoughts on whether the adapters should be on the aux box or monitor end?

    Thanks again!
  7. djmukilteo

    djmukilteo Well-Known Member

    RCA connectors are unbalanced so there's not really any point converting them to balanced....I would just use a RCA cable and use the adapters at the monitors.
    What is this Realistic Stereo Audio Selector?
    Is it just a switch with a bunch of in/out RCA connectors on the back?
    If it is there is nothing balanced....
    I have a bunch of the TS plugs with the RCA receptacle and they will work just fine for what your doing. If you want to use something else and spend money on RCA to 1/4" TRS balanced go ahead won't hurt anything...but I doubt you will hear much difference....It's all pretty negligible...

  8. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member


Share This Page