Whats a good software for mixing,multitracking and recording

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by unnaturalstate, May 7, 2007.

1. I use Adobe Audition 2.0.

My Computer is:

Pentium 4 3.2
    512 Ram
    Windows Xp SP2

Recording Interface:
    Presonus Firepod
    Shure SM57

I'm looking for a good program (not audicy or sound forge)

Something that would work on for everything.

I have Cubase sx3 but i havent planned on using it.

Thanks!

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Who invests $600+ on software and doesn't plan on using it? Cubase is great software. So is Samplitude from what I can tell. Sonar, ditto.

Regardless of the software, it is an investment (for those of us who pay) and once you commit, you have to spend the time to learn it. No shortcuts. None necessarily better than the other.(Samplitude users may disagree) It just becomes a matter of preferrence.

3. empri330

empri330 Guest

Sonar 5 is nice too

4. rscstudios1

rscstudios1 Guest

SONAR 6 YES

5. rscstudios1

rscstudios1 Guest

SONAR 6 YES

6. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

are you recording your own stuff? are you a musician, singer, composer?
    Any present software is fine : Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools.

7. WesFan

WesFan Active Member

Give Reaper a try. I prefer it to Cubase and Audition, both of which I've used a lot. Reapers work flow is more logical to me.

8. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

What are you looking for that Audtion doesn't do? They've just announced 3.0 with a $99 upgrade price predicting an end-of-year ship date.

9. empri330

empri330 Guest

Just Got Sonar six...it is a Beast

10. Space

Space Well-Known Member

I hear cool edit pro works.

11. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Tracktion

12. JesterMasque

JesterMasque Active Member

I have used almost all of these sequencing programs that people are mentioning. However I am still very partial to my SX3 because it so easy to configure and set-up presets for things. Especially when it comes to the Firepod. Presonus and Steinberg shook hands a lot when they created the Firepod. Connectivity and compatibility is a snap.

Stick with your SX3. No other software can provide you with more tools that you will ever use at this point, nor in the near future.

13. bwmac

bwmac Active Member

Looks like you are looking for a multi-tracking program.
    I use sonar-6 now but have used, home studio2004, cubase le, acid pro 5, and frutiloops.

Sonar-6 is by far the bigest and best, IMHO
    cubase would be my second choice for profesional sound,
    acid is the easyest to use over all and is the best looper, IMO.

not sure what all you are looking fo, but if its cheep, then acid would be the way to go.

14. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

How does Sonar 6 Sums sound in comparisons to Cubase? I use Nuendo 3.0 right now, and I am curious if sonar sounds better?

15. bwmac

bwmac Active Member

I am not sure what you are asking.
    The sound is not in the program but dependent on
    your external connections, pre amps, the mic
    or the mix
    the sound card and the monitors.
    Your program should not add color to the recording.

Maybe I missunderstood.

Brad

16. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

I don't know bout that. I think a DAWs audio engine can definitely have an effect on the overall sound. As far as sums are concerned I'm assuming you're talking about the final mix. From what I've heard Nuendo/Cubase 4 has one of the best audio engines out there.

17. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Hey Brad! Long time no type, actually what I meant was... the digital sum (or mix down) of Cubase versus Sonar. Any DAW will sound the same if you just load a pre recorded file in it, however the minute you add EQ, VST or even edit the wave form you can potentially introduce that DAWS sound, because the DAW has now done some form of math to the digital data. Each DAW handles the digital data differently, some truncate, some round, etc... We are talking about very subtle things here, but if you build up 24+ tracks all with the same math rule sets and do a mass sum (or mixdown), the DAWs sound might be more noticeable. Anyway just curious if you noticed any subtle differences.

18. MediaMurder

MediaMurder Guest

Sonar 6 producers edition...
    I have it. It's awesome.
    Make sure you understand that crap in equals crap out. Make sure you have good pre amps and mics and all that junk too, since all a DAW does is record what you tell it to.

19. JesterMasque

JesterMasque Active Member

That is not so true... As previously stated the engine of your DAW DOES color your sound a bit due to the difference in algorithms used. For instance: Pro Tools is a bit louder than Cubase/Nuendo which is cleaner sounding than that of Sonar, Adobe Audition, etc. Also, let us remember that Acid was built as a sample/loop station oringally, not necessarily for tracking/mixing/production. Cubase & Sonar, on the other hand, were built primarily for those specific reasons and thus are built and engineered accordingly.

But as I stated before, if you already have Cubase SX3 then stick with it because of the compatibility between Steinberg and Presonus. You can not beat the fact of knowing your ASIO driver will randomly reset itself during tracking because Sonar and the Firepod had a break in the speaking to each other (a common problem that has many people knocking the QUALITY of the Firepod simply because it does not work well with their DAW).

20. bwmac

bwmac Active Member

I understand what you were asking now Link555,
    BTW, Thanks for the welcome back. I would have to agree with what JesterMasque
    wrote other then I can not verify the cleaner sound of cubase over sonar 6 PE. cubase was cleaner then the home studio ver.
    I am in the revamping stage (AGAIN) with my new MOTU 828 sound card, and a new mixer.
    off to work now
    later
    Brad