1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

whats different black vs. silver (1176)

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by kingsley, Jun 22, 2001.

1. kingsley

kingsley Guest

I would love some feedback on whats the difference between the silverface LN and the blackface LN (1176). Their seems to be a higher price on the blackface. Do they sound different? Why do most people prefer the blackface? Lastly would the blackface be a better investment?
  2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    I may be wrong but I believe the silver LN doesnt have an input transformer thus giving it a less *fullness* in tone. I definately prefer the sound of the black face. Just my opinion.

now if you can find an original 1176!!! those rock!
  3. Bryson

Bryson Guest

Yeah, the silver LN used a 5532 (there's a candidate for a swap) ic for the differential input instead of a xfrmr. The silver, as well as the later F series black face units, had a push-pull class AB output stage, whereas the older black face, and the silver "Blue stripe"(non LN) units, were class A. So you'll also find a difference in sound between blackface units of different vintage. I prefer the older class A units, they just sound more rock n' roll to me, while the newer ones sound kinda smooth jazz (don't ask me what the ^#$% I meant by that).

Now for the experts..........