1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What's in your rig ?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dabmeister music, Aug 12, 2003.

1. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

I'm curious to see what's being used in most studios. I need to make a decision on a possible hardware upgrade. This is my current setup and please give some concrete feedback as to what you think I may need to upgrade or improve on. Now I have a pretty large rack that houses a :
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kurzweil K2500RS module ,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">a Korg Triton rack module ,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Korg 01R/W module ,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">a Roland JV-1080 w/ the hiphop & vintage synth expansion cards ,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">a Emu Planet Phat module ,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">a TC helicon Voice Prism module ,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">an ASR10 (w/ the flouresent screen) 61 note sampling keyboard ,
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">and a 76 key Roland A-70 midi controller .
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My two drum machines are the Akai MPC4000 and the Roland R-8 w/ a couple of expansion cards. :cool:

[ August 21, 2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: dabmeister17 ]

2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

Good topic.

I've really downsized over the years. Softsynths and crankiness led to my synth whore demise.

Here's what I currently have:

KEYBOARDS

1960 Hammond B3 / Leslie
    Fender DynoMyRhodes Piano

SYNTHS

Moog Minimoog w Big Briar MIDI kit
    Yamaha VL1
    Yamaha VL1m
    Yamaha Motif 8
    Yamaha CE20
    microKorg

DRUM MACHINES

MAM ADX-1
    Yamaha RX5

CONTROLLERS

Novation Remote 25
    Yamaha KX5 (if only I had Chick Corea's leather jumpsuit...!)

SOFT SYNTHS

NI Absynth
    NI Battery
    NI Kontakt
    NI Reaktor
    NI B4
    NI Pro-53
    NI FM7
    Steinberg PPG
    Tascam GigaStudio

What would I _really_ want? A good 88-key Rhodes, a D6 Clavinet, Wurli and a real Grand piano.

3. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Nate , you've got it going on & you have some cool stuff. I use to play on some of that vintage gear back in the day. I wish I had that mini-moog of yours. (laughing)

4. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

Thanks. I'm really itching to have more time with the softsynth stuff. So far, I'm just too busy.

I got the Minimoog for...get this...NOTHING! A buddy of mine gave it to me like 10 years ago. Works great. Gotta be thankful for those deals 'cos they're rare.

5. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

Just bumping this to the top. I want to see what everyone else is using these days lest I become terribly out of touch.

6. Todzilla

Todzilla Active Member

I'm a cheapskate, so I'm always trying to get the most variety out of not the most expensive stuff.

Here goes:

Keyboards:

Roland D-50 - I love this guy, even if it is digital
    Korg X5 - I don't care for plasticy Korg stuff, but I needed a knock around keyboard, it was cheap and it has pretty damn nice tonewheel sounds
    Korg Prophecy - I know I just disparaged Korg stuff, but this is a really cool keyboard
    Farfisa Professional - a little rough around the edges, but the grey and white keys can't be beat.
    Wurly 140B - coolass tan flecked model. Lost the sustain pedal years ago (arggh!) and some of the tines are flat or broken. A refurb for the winter months?

Rack:
    Emu ESI-32 - good cheap knockaround sampler. I got some ridiculous deal on 9 Emu CDs from Emu themselves for about $50. Sweet
    Roland D-550 - in case the D-50 funks up. Also, the only good way to get multi-timbrality from a D-50
    Roland U-220 - nice cheap ROMpler. Good piano sounds.
    Roland MKS-7 - much maligned, but cool sounding analog synth. Interface from hell.
    Peavey Spectrum Organ - Surprisingly good tonewheel sounds. Goes great with my MotionSound Pro3.
    Yamaha P-50m - Piano ROMpler. Sounds passable but not stellar. Got for $100 new. What can I say?
    ---------------------
    Dream Synth - Oberheim Matrix 12. Anyone have one for sale for $100?

7. Linwood

Linwood Member

DynoMy Rhodes
    B3 W/122 ( but I just sold it and it leaves 8/21)
    (I know -idiot)
    Wurli model 200 - in the process of rebuilding it

S90
    XV5050 ( techno and string cards)
    1080 ( pop and orch cards)
    E4XT -loaded
    MKS-20
    SY-77
    midimini - studio electronics
    samplecell II - I still like these cards