1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What's the best marketing tricks you've seen?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Bob Olhsson, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Active Member

Home Page:
    Some of the best I've seen have included a cross country tour promoted entirely using community access cable and selling autographed singles in advance of selling CDs to the same people. I also know a band who have repeatedly gotten national coverage out of having somebody intentionally file a complaint about an upcoming gig with different local city governments.

2. Rog

Rog Guest

I think the *** Pistols wrote the book on marketing. I'm not sure if anybody would bat an eyelid at their antics these days though.

3. Bob Olhsson

Home Page:
    Can you give some examples?

4. Rog

Rog Guest

Sid & Johnny's 7 steps to marketing heaven:

1) Call an interviewer a '****ing rotter' on live prime time TV

2) develop a healthy smack habit

3) smash up hotel rooms and other band members

4) mercilessly pick on the bass player and make him leave so you can get your no-talent mate into the band

5) Get so wasted that you may or may not have murdered your girlfriend, you just can't remember.

6) Be so obnoxious that one label drops you like a hot potato and another signs you for the publicity.

7) Abandon your important, U.S. breaking tour.

Somehow I know Fletcher would dig all the above ;)

5. Bob Olhsson

Home Page:
    I've known folks who have done at least one of EACH of those things but in every case it sunk a promising career rather than launching it.

The *** Pistols were already famous at that point too while I'm really talking about how people BECOME famous in the first place. In every case I've seen, it was something THEY did as opposed to anything a label did or that was bestowed on them by somebody else.

6. waitgoiter

waitgoiter Guest

2 marketing tips from negativland:

1. Issue press release stating that some teenager has just killed his parents with an axe after listening to one of your songs. Then sell a full length LP devoted to the media controversy. (Helter Stupid)

2. Sample and lampoon the biggest band in the world that month and instigate the biggest copyright $*^t fight the world's ever seen. (U2)

Note that if you're not careful, #2 can put you out of business faster than Sid.

7. Bob Olhsson

Home Page:
    I just saw a book mentioned that should be VERY interesting.

'The PR Strikes Back' by Keith Altham
    [ISBN: 1 85782 496 2].

NOBODY in the press is going to tell anybody about this one!

8. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

A local Austin band was giving an extra cd with every sale of their first batch of their album, so it would be given to a friend who might become a fan. Interesting ploy, sounded like an interesting band but I never heard them and can't recall the name.

I'd think this might need tricking out to guarante profitability. EP companion disc, maybe? The EP would have to be the come on to encourage the full sale, and you'd hope the EP's keep spreading to new audience. Another idea I'd file under "needs further study".

Bear

9. Bob Olhsson

Home Page:
    Another trick is offering a show pass to people who return a registration card in the CD package. I've heard of people using carefully targeted mailings to make once a week gigs look like four times a year gigs to many of their fans. The challange is making each gig as unique as possible to each fan. The second fans feel like they can skip a gig without missing anything, they'll frequently find a reason to skip most of them. It's called "overexposure" and it's the most common mistake I've seen people make.

10. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Home Page:
    I'm not sure of this one, maybe one of the members can verify it!

Years ago I heard (before anyone knew who they were), that KISS advertised in community papers reading "KISS is Coming!" No one knew of them but they created curiosity by doing this.Their PA was a wall of empty cabinets stacked sky high to impress the hell out of everyone. The whole thing was hype and image. Look at them now! They did what it took to get noticed and their talent took them the rest of the way.

10 % talent and the rest is hard work.

11. Bob Olhsson

Home Page:
    I think the job is always the same. Talent makes it a bit easier for some folks but it also allows some to coast and fail because they never HAD to do the work just to survive.

12. audiokid

Home Page:
    I once had the opportunity to give Katie Lang a ride home from a club. I had an old (mint) 61 Chrysler Imperial and she liked it. In our most interesting conversations she told me she loved looking up at the sky to attract a crowd.

A few years later I played a few rooms she did. She started doing the reincarnation thing and it definitely worked.

She is soooooo awesome but, it's all about creating a buzz.

13. audiokid

Home Page:
    And now we have YouTube, FaceBook and Twitter. Anyone care to add to this after ten years passing?

14. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

LOL! Some of these are great ideas. I'll put them to use. C'mon folks, tell us more!

15. Dr_Willie_OBGYN

Dr_Willie_OBGYN Active Member

Home Page:
    Stamping out piracy of your stuff.... Intellectual Property Piracy Protection

16. lambchop

lambchop Active Member

New Jersey (right outside the Big Apple!)
    Home Page:
    I always wanted to name a group "Free Lunch".

Just think of it! - "Free Lunch at Carnegie Hall". I'm sure that it would attract a crowd! :D

17. Tom Fodor

Tom Fodor Active Member

A band did it with "Free Beer" around Brisbane OZ a few years back. Worked a treat until a fight broke out coz some redneck thought she was being ripped off.
    There are some seriously mean bitches around Brisbane. Apparently someone lost half an ear so they had to stop using the name.

Worked for a while though....

18. Dr_Willie_OBGYN

Dr_Willie_OBGYN Active Member

Home Page:
    I recall seeing a band name on the marquee called "Free Beer" too. Also "House Band". I'm sure the name "Bare Naked Ladies" worked for those guys too.

19. lambchop

lambchop Active Member

New Jersey (right outside the Big Apple!)
    Home Page:
    Yeah, it's basically all about "the hook". However, I would think that once you have hooked them you also need to have something to back it up and deliver. In other words, you need to be sure about the quality of your product.

20. audiokid

Home Page:
    There is a Canadian group here called The Barenaked Ladies that are just excellent. They stirred up quite a buzz with that name and I'm certain it help get them to stardom.