1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What's Up Over at Behringer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by hueseph, May 30, 2012.

1. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

It looks like their purchase of Midas is going to benefit them quite a bit. It may benefit us as well. I don't know. I'll wait for a few guinea pigs to take the leap first but it's piqued my interest. Probably the most expensive thing I've seen from them and still incredibly cheap for what it is. It may as cheap as it is cheap. I don't know.

2. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

They'll do what they do best. Take the good designs and work of others, copy it, and make it as cheaply as possible to produce the most unreliable, shoddy cheap consumer products on the market.

How they survive is beyond amazing. I guess, good marketing of lousy Chinese junk, and otherwise reputable outlets carrying their products. They can't even resist co-opting names...as in their line of "iNuke" garbage.

Kapt.Krunch

3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Bosch bought Behringer, Midas and KLARK TEKNIK, and are using technologies from all of them in the new products. It's a new day for their products now that they have in house engineering.

The X32 is a combination of Midas and KLARK TEKNIK technologies, quite different from their previous products.
    It will take time for them to refresh the whole lineup, but keep your eye on the new ones.

:cool:

4. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Looks pretty cool indeed, for $2899 I'm sure there will be some takers.
    Only time will tell with the quality and reputation, which can change in the blink of an eye!
    Most electronics is assembled in Asia these days so no surprise there. All about the QA.

If you look at something like the A&H GSR24M at $10k+, this thing is priced almost at the ZEDR16 level.
    32 in 16 bus, FX, automation, iPad like screen everything digital....what more do you need to make that hit record for AMidol auditions...who knows??.....you can be assured it's going to sound "digital", so I'm sure the sound purists will claim all kinds of crazy things...but in the end it will still be 115db S/N using typical digital circuits.

Everybody can afford to have a console in their bedroom now!
    Only time will tell.

5. hueseph

Actually, I think it was "The Music Group" (Parent Company of Behringer)who bought out Midas and Klark Teknik from Bosch. Here's the article.
    Regardless, it seems that Behringer will benefit from the new blood and genuinely original ideas from within the companies. Whether that will translate to their quality control or not is another thing altogether. Not everything coming from China has to be of poor quality. Most computer parts are made there. Of course it all depends on whether or not Behringer are willing to spend a little more money on quality control.

6. BushmasterM4

BushmasterM4 Active Member

The Behringer Powerplay 16 looks very nice !!! Its on my next purchase list

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

hmm, first glance looks really cheap. The buttons are sure to stick. My guess, presonus is working on a second generation StudioLive already. I'd be waiting.

The resale of this would be terrible.

Sorry to be the downer but they need to change their name too. I have zero faith in that company.

8. BushmasterM4

I have a set of their Truth 1031 active monitors and they were my first set (all I could afford) and 6 years later, they still sound nice. Also have their 8 channel head phone amp and 6 years later, it still does its job. While I personaly would never buy their mixers and amps, some of their products, well, work and are very cost effective.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

My apologies for being so down on them. I know they make some products that are really well priced and do what they say they do. Like their headphone controller, that looks pretty cool. And I'm glad to hear your monitors are working well too! They are definitely helping people get into recording.

10. BushmasterM4

I didnt mean it in a bad way. Its all good. I know some of their stuff is junk !! But at least by them making stuff inexpensive, it helps keep the price of the good stuff lower too. Well, somewhat. :) And I no longer use the monitors as my main set. Upgraded to KRK's But that new personal monitor mixer system (powerplay) look sweet.

11. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Behringer means two things to me:
    Generally poor quality
    Sometimes a steal if you get a good one

There are some products/models I still use (reluctantly), and there are others I also still use - as a doorstop.
    Like many here, I have limited faith in their products. I also have experienced some units that far outperform their price point.
    Guess we'll have to see which this is?

12. BushmasterM4

13. hueseph

I have to admit, there is one piece of Behr gear that I think is pretty decent. Their Vamp 2 amp emulator. I had a Vamp 2 that sounded really nice. It felt cheap. It was cheap but it sounded really good. Their mixers are generally awful though. Cheap. And their IMP preamps sound like crap. Noisy and sterile. I can deal with the sterile but the noise is unacceptable.

Maybe this will improve now that they have some influence from these other two companies. We will see.

14. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I've used plenty of Behringer's stuff. Their audio isn't horrible. Their repair ability is. It's disposable stuff. But when one considers the quick march of changing technologies, it doesn't matter if it lasts a long time anymore. It's inexpensive enough to be able to replace it often enough so as not to worry about huge investments and long-term usage.

I still like my old stuff that's not Behringer stuff
    Mx. Remy Ann David

15. James M-G

James M-G Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to address a couple small points here.

With all due respect, the X32 is a completely original design that Behringer developed completely in-house with help from our sister companies, Midas and Klark-Teknik. It is not a "copy" of anything.

This is correct. Behringer, Midas, and Klark-Teknik are all owned by the same parent company (MUSIC-GROUP) but are all autonomous in operation, for all intents and purposes. That said, there are some products like the X32 and the upcoming QX series mixers, which can be seen as a "collaboration" of sorts.

A big problem that we had in the past was with third parties managing our warranty service and spare parts operations. Now that we have very recently opened up our new service center and parts warehouse in Las Vegas, we are addressing those problems. Granted, we still have a ways to go, but I believe we are on the right track.

Take Care,
    James Burns,
    Social Media Coordinator,
    MUSIC-GROUP US.

16. hueseph

James,

Thanks for chiming in. As much as the group can be cynical here, we do welcome an insiders voice. Behringer has had a bit of a shady past in the experience of many of us but myself am hoping that is changing. Many companies have had to revamp their business model. Some for better, some for worse and others with little effect whatsoever. With the economy the way it is, there is a huge market opening up for a company such a Behringer which potentially take a "lion's share" if the quality can surpass the price. Everybody wants a bargain.

At any rate, looking forward to seeing what else is in store.

17. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

From one of my Logic user group meetings I learned that the Music-Group had an office in my region. good to hear from a real person.

18. hueseph

Hell has frozen over. Behringer are now offering a 3 year warranty on all of their products. That's generally longer than the life expectancy of most of their products. LOL. But seriously, could things really be on the change? I have to admit, they have my attention now.

19. BobbyRose23

BobbyRose23 Active Member

I have always been curious about buying Behringer stuff but have always gotten more bad then good reviews, So I never did. And starting a home studio I think eventually after I save up im going to get the X32. I have no money right now just had 4th open heart. And James Thanks for sticking up for your product.... sounds amazing to me.... it will be mine!

20. hueseph

Hold your horses there. The X32 is more of a live mixer. I don't think it will really serve you in a studio. In fact take deep consideration of this because there are far better recording mixers out there. The X32 may have some nice features but none of them will do you any good if you have to mix everything down to a stereo pair.

Take a good look at the Allan and Heath Zed R16. It runs around the same price but it is a fully funtional contol surface (you can control your DAW with it) as well as a 16 channel FireWire audio interface. Whic means 16 channels in to 16 separate tracks simultaneously.

Allen & Heath ZED-R16 | Sweetwater.com