1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What's your Favorite Mic Pre for Vocals?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by WDavidW, Jan 13, 2004.

1. WDavidW

WDavidW Guest

What is your 1 or 2 favorite (or goto) microphone preamps for recording vocals?

2. Don Rowe

Don Rowe Guest

I like the G.T. Vipre..It just works for me most of the time..

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

When you have a few to choose from it becomes harder to choose which is best or favorite. It depends on vocalist, song style and arrangement, as well as which I mic I'll use. For me it would be better to ask what mic pres get used most often. Then I would say: Focusrite Red-7, Neve 1272, AMEK/Neve CIB, Vintech X81, API 512, Manley Tube, D.W. Fearn VT-1, Neotek MicMAX.

4. levihoward

levihoward Guest

I use out-of-the-ordinary stuff, but I'm able to get distinct sounds that are more catered to the song. I've been using Aphex 1100's that have been retubed with NOS tubes for my smoother, fatter stuff and had wonderful results. Then for more aggressive I use the Ward Beck 460's, which is more WYSIWYG. Two different flavors that I've been quite happy with.

5. Malpasoman

Malpasoman Guest

GT Vipre is prolly my fave as well.

6. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

ummmm...... M-Audio Omni I/O?!?!?

that's all I have and can afford at the moment, so I guess its my favorite!

poor me :(

mitz

7. Skeetch

Skeetch Guest

Don't have as many to pick from as Gaff, but agree that it depends on the vocalist and mic used. Just got a Great River MP-2NV that I've been running a Brauner Phantom C through that I like very much. Also have an ISA428 that's nice for some things with certain mics. For big phat tube attitude I'll reach for a Peavey/AMR VMP-2.

8. WDavidW

WDavidW Guest

Ha! Ha! I can relate! :)

9. MikoMader

MikoMader Guest

I've had great results with the UA 6176. But, my favorite is probably the Manley VoxBox. I love that thing. Takes a little getting used to, but after it breaks you in, you're hooked.

10. henryrobinett

henryrobinett Active Member

Lately I've dug the Telefunken V72. The Millennia Origin or HV-3 too. I like them going into an LA2A with ribbon mics like an RCA77DX or AEA44c.

11. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

What ever sounds best with that particular vocalist.

12. Fruition2k

Fruition2k Active Member

Custom built EMI REDD 47 tube mic pre...a recreation of what was in the Abbey Road REDD 51 Studio 2 console. UNREAL! I listen in disbelief to any vocals I've tracked with it, even after 4 years of having it.
    Hats off to John Hinson who recreated it.

13. Of course the vocalist and music context influence the decision. On a recent project I've had excellent results tracking with either a Lawson L47MP or a Soundelux ifet7 (in V mode)> Universal Audio 2-610> Universal Audio 1176LN reissue> Cranesong HEDD 192 (for it's AD converters). I've used the Neumann M149> Avalon AD2022> Summit Audio TLM-50> Apogee AD16, The 737sp is also quite good for some applications.
    I just got a pair of Vintech X73i's. Can't wait to run them through the paces. So many choices, so little time.
    Just as a side note, recently used a RODE NTK through the Universal Audio 2-610> 1176LN chain on acoustic guitar- slammin'. Haven't tried it on vocals yet though.

14. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

The AD's MP-2 tube pre, the BA'ed Neve 3405's, Nightpro PreQ seem to be at the top of my list.

15. chessparov

chessparov Active Member

Henry (or anyone else), don't laugh except according to a well respected pro AE (Harvey Gerst), the $130 or so Studio Projects VTB-1 is supposed to sound terrific on the RCA 77, when the impedance switch is put at 50 Ohms. His review is on their website BTW.

Chris

16. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

While I had the review unit here, I found myself reaching for the JLM TMP8 most. Ahh, but alas, I had to return it ... (sad face) .. but I just learned that a new one is headed my way as soon as they start rolling off the assembly line.. (JOY!) .

Since then, I have been having an affair with the Great River MP2NV ... this is a killer pre.. but a bit thicker sounding than the JLM... The TMP8 has more of a "prestine" quality.

This last Sunday, I tracked 3 vocalists in the same room on different tracks using the Sebatron vmp 4000e and a pair of ATM 4033's and an AKG 460. Great results.

"It's all good"

17. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Hey Skeetch...

I am about to invest in a new mic pre unit, and as has been discussed in other threads, I am looking seriously at the ISA428...

When you say "nice with some things with certain mics", can you be a bit more specific? I'd love to hear your opinions on this thing, since I am within a week or two of making my decision...

Thanks!

18. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

can anybody compare the Sebatron to some of these other pres mentioned here on vocals.I have the SEbatron and am wondering what other pre might compliment my arsenal.I was thinking a Neve type like the great river will give me more variety.

19. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Mike,
    I could try that for you ... what pres? I have a GR MP2NV here currently as well as my 9098s and a Presonus M80 ... hopefully in a few weeks I will ahve another JLM.

What mics do you want on this comparison?

20. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

ok Kurt how about compared to the great river
    Have you ever heard the redd 47 the marquette audio has for sale?thanks mike