What's your preference- plugin verb or hardware verb?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by Pez, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Pez

Pez Active Member

Just curious what verbs RO members prefer as their favorites.

2. I like the verb I am getting out of the Lexicon 500. I prefer it to D-verb. Doc

3. alfonso

alfonso Active Member

i don't have outboard gear, but i'm a very satisfied user of the scope fusion platform by creamware. i love creamware's masterverb.
    generally, i think that the "sharc" (analog device's dsp found in cw cards) coding gives the best results in terms of warmth and analog emulation.
    creamware devices are software coded on a fantastic hardware, they sound as the best outboard.
    having this quality with the software possibility of multiple istances is the best that could happen to me....

4. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I dunno if they would be my favorite because I never had acces to M5000, M6000, 960L an bigger stuff but I still use my SPX900´s, Lexicon MPX1 and some TSR efx.

Now I have the Waves Reverb and Echo Farm but have not digged into it. I am curious about Altiverb.

5. cdp

cdp Active Member

I only started using plugin reverb when greater processing power made it possible for it to compete, in performance, with hardware units. I never liked the big dinosaur stuff, like the 480 and the TC verbs, so my opinions on this may be odd...

But I do prefer using higher quality reverb plugins. Even when the studio has a high quality hardware reverb, I'll go with a good plug in.

But, in the end, I do believe this is more than personal taste: it's at least partially affected by the type of music you work with.

6. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hey Charles, are you brazilian, from Porto Alegre? Hey man, I live in Florianópolis!

7. I like and use the Waves Trueverb and RenVerb a lot... I also use the Sonic Foundry Acoustics Modeller plug in sometimes - very nice, but harder to use since it's not "real time".

As far as hardware, I also have a pair of Ensoniq DP/4's (one's a DP/4+), a Yamaha SPX900 and a Lexicon LXP15, plus the two onboard efx processors in each of my two Yamaha AW4416's. If money were no object, a 960 or 6000 would be nice. I have yet to hear any plug in that can come close to that level of sonics, but I'd say RenVerb and Acoustics Mirror / Modeller are in the same general range as midline hardware reverb units sonically.

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Room D-verb algorithms sound very similar to some Yamaha SPX 900 rooms...

9. raregroove

raregroove Guest

Classicverb on the TC Powercore card sounds very nice. Don't miss my lexicon's anymore. Altiverb is awesome but not that useful unless you bounce the track with the effect, due to CPU overhead.

regards,

raregroove