1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

when dou you initiate the stereo buss compressor(s)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by slicraider, Nov 24, 2001.

1. slicraider

slicraider Guest

Just curious as to when other mixers start engaging stereo compression in the mix process.

2. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Based on advice from Mixerman, I patch in the 2-mix compressor right after I've got a basic balance. It seem to work well.

3. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

I'll second that. I used to put it on after I got my mix together and then I'd spend another 1/2 hour getting things right again before I could get back to mixing.

4. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

Usually from the go. Sometimes a little after, generally when I start working on the chorus(or the most dynamic part of the song).

5. Dave McNair

Dave McNair Active Member

I start with the mix going through a compressor very early on. I set the threshold very low and output high and gradually lighten up on these settings as I get more things into the mix.

6. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Member

For me it's pretty much early on, at the very end, or not at all.

Unless I wanted it but then forgot about patching it in until halfway through the mix.

How's that for a definitive answer.

Jon

7. slicraider

slicraider Guest

Well, I guess we all get to it pretty quick. I like to incorporate the sound early on. This way my mix gets closer to the final sound sooner. Thanks all!