Where are you coming from ?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by TrilliumSound, Jun 11, 2005.

1. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

Hi all,

I thought that it would be interesting to talk about "where we come from" in terms of experience, how did it start for you in the audio world ? Were you a musician, audiophile, composer or crazy?

Richard

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

When I was a wee lad:

I started singing Barbershop when I was 10, did that for about 4 years, at the time I was the youngest member to go to international competition. We came in 3rd.

Took piano and guitar, kept the guitar and played in high school bands and sang in jazz group.

Took more guitar in college and was introduced to an 8 track home studio. built my own 4 track studio.

Interned at Lion's Gate studio in LA for feature films on the foley stage.

went to full sail in 88' 4 people graduated in my class. moved to NY and interned/assisted at a 1 room jazz and jingle SSL studio.

Was trained as a tech by SSL and Studer.

Engineered at a karoke studio for 2 years. Learned more here than anywhere else.

Staff engineer at soundtrack studios NY for several years.

Freelance mixer/engineer for many years. I received 30+ gold and platinum awards, a few grammy winning records.

Built a small indie mastering room in my apt and did that on the side while I was still mixing big projects.

Built a commercial mastering room in NJ and operated out of there as a full time mastering engineer for about 4 years.

Built my current mastering room in NYC and have been there for about 4 years.

3. TrilliumSound

Started to discover music at the age of 13 (1976) when I found in garbages in the street many albums such as The Stooges, VDGG, early Deep Purple and PFM. At the age of 15, I bought a used elect bass for $20 and started to play since then. I took 5 years of bass lessons and harmony lessons in a Music Conservatory and private lessons also.

During this time, I was introduced to a studio owner in Montreal and I learn a lot of things over there. I became an associate of this studio when I was 22. I was playing a lot of Jazz and being sub for several artists in the Quebec music scene. Started to play Double bass also.

Beside Recording/mixing studios activities, I was doing music arrangements for singers (mostly pop & some folk) and got composer gig for few TV channels in Montreal and Canada. During the 90's, I have met several music producer that used to come at our studio and at some Mastering studios to complete their projects. I used to go there everytime I had a chance and sit there to see and hear what is going on.

I never stopped playing since the last 5 years, still play but rarely. I still find the time to get some recording gigs as a bass player but once or twice a year only. The new cats are pushing pretty hard and this is fine with me :wink: .

Still in the 90's, I was pretty busy recording and mixing at our studio. I realized in 2000 that I was a perfectionist and got on my partner's nerves :lol: which he was more a business type of guy (but a heck of a sound taker :shock: ) and learnt so much from him...still good friends 8) .

In 2002 I bought a house on the North Shore of Montreal and build a new studio from scratch and it became a Mastering facility since 2003. I sometimes do some voice overs for commercial purposes. I am also asociate with an Recording and mixing studio owner in Montreal for mixes services that comes to us.

I am the only owner of the studio and have a part time assistant. I love doing this even when sometimes it is tough and co$tly. 8)

Richard

4. TrilliumSound

Do you still play Mike ?

5. JerryTubb

JerryTubb Guest

all the above... esp crazy :lol:

I would tell mine... but I can already hear the yawns.

Peace 8)

6. iznogood

iznogood Guest

prepare to yawn!!! :D

started linstening to music at age 4.... mostly bob dylan/doors/dr.hook on reel to reel

at 12 my dad gave me a stereo... and thereby a oneway ticket to economic ruin :)

i rented a brand new thing called cd (this was 83) and 6 cd's!!..... got a 10 band graphic eq and a record player so i could play my mom's dylan records....

age 16 i had 2 monoblocks with 500W each as was quicly becoming a hifi geek

at 18 i sold my sixth(!) cd-player after getting electrostatic speakers and a truly great record player.... and i gave away alot of cd's.... couldn't stand listening to them....

parallel with this i had developed an interest in samplers after listening to jarre/art of noise.... i got an atari with cubase and a mirage sampler....

but it was only the technical side that interested me so i spent more and more time fiddling with new gear that i borrowed in the local musicstore..... and less time trying to make music

age 21 i started at a school that had an entire studio with studer and soundtracs inline mixer..... i got to fiddle with it and i was hooked!

at 23 i got a jod as a live engineer doing alot of different styles on a really poor P.A....... but mostly amateur heavy/death metal!

then i faded over into studio jobs with less and less live work.... only an occasional jungle rave.......

and for the last 5 years or so i've worked solely as a mix/mastering engineer.......

that made me ill with stress (and 50 pounds heavier).... and i have not been working for 3/4 of a year.....

but now i've taken up my old hobby with hi-fi..... now with audionote dac that kicks any benchmark converters ass...... and generally better sound that i've heard in ten years.....

7. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Loved Yes...Drama, 90125, Big Generator
    Loved Asia...Asia, Alpha

Found out that they all had Trevor Horn in common.
    Decided I wanted to be him.

Worked in or around bands/clubs throughout highschool and after. Went to "The Recording Workshop". Interned at Criteria for a year or so.

Left the music biz to "make a living" but still did the occasional band/club thing here and there. Became a MIDI junkie.

Getting back into the music biz to "have fun living".

...I'm still not Trevor yet. :(

8. Masteringhouse

Masteringhouse Active Member

Long story short:

At age 11 inspired by the likes of JimiHendrix, The Who, etc. picked up a guitar and joined a rock band.

During the period when I was playing music ran live sound for various bands and started getting involved in recording at local studios.

After the 257th or so band decided that I enjoyed the technical part of music more than dealing with band politics and the girlfriends of the other members of the band. Started a studio with a musician/friend recording various local acts.

Built up client list, getting work from various labels including work for The King Buscuit Flower Hour where we produced a weekly radio show that included nearly every major Rock act from the 70s and 80s (Cocker, Stones, Allman Bros, The Who, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Benetar, Billy Idol, etc).

Started my own mastering/multimedia studio to expand business further and develop relationships with new clients.

9. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

I'm coming from Denmark, now I'm in the UK.
    I started getting inspired by music at the age of 0, as my mom deliberately played guitar when she was pregnant to enhance my musicality.

It has worked great, you should try it.

10. TrilliumSound

What, being pregnant ?(that will be tough) or going back at the age of 0 ? Hmmm, looks like there was some great stuff to smoke in Denmark, wish you will find as good in the UK.

11. iq

iq Guest

I think I 'was' crazy...
    I think i'm the first person in Indonesia in circa 1993 who opened adat head and blow the dust off it... And still works fine :)
    Good God...

12. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

13. SPLstudio

SPLstudio Guest

My Life it's very simple, complicated, fun and sad at the same time.
    I was 5 years old when i realized that my father was playing guitar, never wonder more, until 92 when i found, i do not remember where, an album of electronic music.
    In 93 i moved from Central America, Guatemala to Montreal Canada.
    here i discovered music from all latin america but ROCK music stole my heart.
    1994 I started taking piano lessons untill 98. then i found that a lot of people said that i must let go the music.
    i Quit playing an instrument but still Music was a big part of me.
    then i realized that i wanted to become a recording enginner and again family said nop.
    i start working in a shop and always was reading EM, Recording mag.
    then in 2001 i started with a band doing production and we finished with an EP that did not went as we wished.
    2004 i started buying studio equipement and here i am.
    it is not been easy for me cuz people think that if you don't have a diploma you're wothless.
    My main goal is to provide songwriters, bands and solo singers an opportunity to get heard without get in bankrupcy. i'm not charging anything for them if they don't have.
    thank you.

14. JerryTubb

JerryTubb Guest

My Mom sang in the choir and around the house when she was PG, so I got to hear the melody... not just the chords :D

15. Masteringhouse

Masteringhouse Active Member

My mom used to beat me with a stick when I was young. That's how I got my sense of rhythm. :)

16. iznogood

iznogood Guest

my mom dropped me on my head..... so i got into the music business! :shock:

17. TrilliumSound

I thought that I had a weird Mom !!

18. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Sorry iznogood, that was my fault. I scared your mom when whe was coming out of the bathroom after changing your diaper.

19. TrilliumSound

:shock: This thread is becoming scary. :lol:

20. axel

axel Guest

no joke, got born into the toilet bowl as well, probably that caused my weird brain ear relationship...... :D bang bang bang