Where to find ME discographies?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by headchem, May 9, 2006.

1. headchem

headchem Guest

Where can I find a discography of a mastering engineer? Is there a centralized database for this? Let's say I want to know everything Bob Ludwig has ever mastered...
  2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
  3. headchem

headchem Guest

Perfect! That's just what I was looking for.

So, I've been purusing Ludwigs credits, and I was really shocked to find many of those way too loud and distorted songs. For example, Zach Hexum's single How Many Times. Or Steven Curtis Cahpman's Only Getting Started. Or all of John Mayer's Heavier Things album. It sounds like he's putting master distortion on his bus output...

It's so loud and distorted that I assumed some low-level ME agreed to sell out and sacrifice quality because a client wanted it loud. Don't the famous MEs refuse projects if it means damaging their reputation?

I know he's done tons of excellent work, and that I'm no mastering expert, but I know what zero dynamics and distortion sounds like...

headchem = disillusioned with a mastering legend...

(I'm not trying to start a thread about the loudness wars, either. Just commenting)
  4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Distinguished Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC New York
    Home Page:
    It could very well be that he received the mixes that way. I get distored mixes all of the time.
  5. JerryTubb

JerryTubb Guest

Yes, allmusic.com is a great source for creds.

But even they fall short of "complete".

They can only list what is submitted to them, many forget to submit.

I know about only 1/10 of our work shows up there.

Still the best site imo.

6. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    I know of plenty that *were* submitted that never showed up. And sooooo many that are "improperly" credited (I have stacks of discs - Indies, labels, etc.) that say "Mastered at Massive Mastering" - which doesn't show on AMG's websites.

But I suppose at least it's a decent source to find out if the person you're dealing with is on the level.
  7. StephenMarsh

StephenMarsh Guest

another option

Another option for discographies (ME's, mixers, musician's etc) is esession.com. Major credits are required to get on the site which, while it certainly excludes some very talented people, virtaully elimnates the "scammer" factor.

The site hasn't offically launched yet-but it's still up @ http://www.esession.com
  8. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    Garbage in, Garbage out. If you have something coming in that is already pre distorted and the artist likes the way it sounds then you do what you can to master it but in the end it will still be distorted. No matter if you are Bob Ludwig or a newbie mastering engineer you still have to deal with incoming source material and all that it is and all that it is not. Some people like distorted sound some people, like me, don't but I still have to work with the client and their material.

Hope this helps.
  9. goat

goat Guest

here's a few more:

For some reason some sites have some credits that others don't
  10. Masteringhouse

Masteringhouse Active Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Home Page:
    There are quite a few sites with discographies, just enter "Bob Ludwig Discography" in google or yahoo and you'll get tons of 'em.