1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Which 24 HD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Mad John, May 18, 2002.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Greetings,

I am now in the market for a 24 track hard disc recorder. Out of the 3 famous choices, Tascam,Mackie and Alesis, which one is the better of the lot?

I know the Tascam is considerably more expensive.

Also, which of the Mackies (I am not useing a computer) , the SDR or MDR? What is the difference between the two?

Thank you! :) :cool:

Mad John
    Zythum Studios/1st Take Productions

"The present day Composer refuses to die!" - Edgar Varese - 1921

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

What I gather from forum opinions is that the Tascam sounds good, and drives swappable to PT is a plus for some, but the operating system is complicated. I haven't heard high opinions of the Mackie or Alesis, but check DAW world which has an HD24 forum and maybe more on the Alesis. The Alesis' editing power is rather limited compared to the others.

And look into the Radar. The IDE-drive Project version isn't much more (if at all?) than a fully equipped Mackie or Tascam, and is fully upgradable to the top of the line spec. As time goes on, I'm viewing Radar as an eventuality in my life.

Bear

3. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Bear,

Thanks, as always, I apreciate your help!

Cheers,

Mad John
    Zythum Studios/1st Take Productions

"The present day Composer refuses to die!" - Edgar Varese - 1921

4. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

I would study the Pro Tools compatatbility of whatever unit you get.. Try to get insights into fan noise, size and other such details...

:)