1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Which 24 track hard disc recorder?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Mad John, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

I am looking for the best 24 HD recorder that is offered. The only ones I know are Mackie, Alesis and Tascam.

How are these units in comparison and are there better machines out there?

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

"The present day Composer refuses to die!" - Edgar Varese - 1921

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Add Radar to that list. I have heard some good reports about both the Tascam & the Radar.
    :)

3. planet red

planet red Active Member

Ill be getting the new cheaper radar setup sometime around july. Things are great right now, I'm recording about 70 to 90 hours a week and know I'm going to need a VERY reliable recorder. PLus one day I can upgrade to those nyquist converters.

4. bhenderson

bhenderson Guest

RADAR is designed for reliability, sound quality and ease of use. RADAR does not crash and has won every listening test it has been subjected to. It has a very dedicated user interface and it is very easy to use. You can go to http://www.recordingtheworld.com for more information.

5. dynamo12

dynamo12 Guest

Barry,
    Are we positive about no crashes?
    I'm really considering RADAR 24 Project mostly for live recordings and i'm concerned about how reliable is the machine in a " no second take' situation. Is really that solid ? Project looks like a great deal and this is really my only issue at the moment.
    Thanks. Jo

6. stedel

stedel Guest

Dear John.

Yep, All the usual suspects: Mackie, Alesis, iZRadar, Tascam and that's about it. Maybe someone will point out that Fostex have one also.

Perhaps you'll get an ol' Analogue Neck come in and say "ALL DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATIONS ARE CRAP!!!

For your needs, who knows - that might be the case.

As you know, there's a lot that can go wrong with Digital Audio - still.

Quality Digital Audio is not cheap.

a.What do you want to do with it?
    ..Funny question I know.
    b.What do you want out of it?
    ..Even funnier question.

This is what I'm doing:

iZ RADAR is pretty much the coolest out of this bunch (IMHO). But so's this -

First criteria for Stedel:

An HDR must above all else: ROCK
    If it doesn't..there's not much point.

Here's the warm up band:

R: Reliable.
    O: stands for a dedicated OS designed specifically for Audio. One that doesn't have to compromise itself through some in-elegant symbiotic relationship with a Mac or PC., and comes with a sleek Specific Ergonomic Design Controller. Ultra-low-jitter clock circuits, and ultra-low distortion. Powerful fundamental Editing tools.
    C COOL CLOCK: A Clock system that exceeds AES specification for a measurement reference clock, regardless of sync scource Sync to video, word clock, AES or internal. The power supply switches on the sample clock to eliminate interference patterns.
    K Kicks the proverbial, mixing 16, 20, and 24-bit clips in the same project.

And, like the ghostly spirit of Music's muse -
    elusive - as it's none of the above brands.

Currently I'm doing a field survey on it's ROCK factor. It's looking like it's gonna be sitting in my studio.But some of the users I've talked to don't think ROCK is an adequate term to describe it.I've asked them if they'd prefer: "This system JAZZ'S", or "This system CLASSICALS" or "This system MOVIESOUNDTRACKS"
    Because it does all four, and apparently better than anything else they've used.

All this of course, doesn't mean that it wouldn't, or shouldn't: - ROCK

It just means maybe they should.
    QUOTE:
    I'm listening to a band and a version of a song they do:
    Concrete Blonde- Andrew Prieboy "Tomorrow Wendy"

I mean really listening to it.From the fret buzz left there on the first beat of the second bar, to the clarity of the rhythm chimes, cymbals, triangles, flanging, quite severely chorused guitars that sound really pretty, speak of a big night sky, black and full of silver an ambient effect created by really considered and careful layering of reverb. END QUOTE.

I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW how's your Manley Gear?

Kind regards
    Stedel
    :cool:

7. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Well, I suppose you could have just said "Fairlight" in about 499 less words, but then it wouldn't have been quite so much fun, i suppose... :p

8. baes

baes Guest

I've been using first generation Otari/IZ RARAR 24s and they are solid and effortless...plus they sound very good.
    However, i've heard that the newest RADAR model seems to take longer when "Working" (said word displayed on the LCD) on a CPU intensive command...any experience?

Mike
    preposterous.com

9. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Hi Stendel,

Thanks, the Manley gear is great, I absolutly love the MU and Massive Passive! (Still havn't found outside of vocals and bass drum what I like the duel mono pre for!)

I would love some opinions from anyone who can tell me what they think of the Hard Drive recorders as a professional option. Remeber, I have only used 1/2 and 1/4 inch 8 track for the past 15 years and I am extremly anxious to get to 24 tracks without going to 2 inch tape (at this time.)

What are the quality differences of Mackie and Alesis?

How many situations do you know of where the HD is being used for album production (my main focas.)

It certainly seems like a step up from where I have been. :roll:

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

10. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

I just checked that Radar web site and I am completly confused! Bad pictures, comes in a package, cost $9,000? Woohhhhh Nelly!

What is this thing?

I just want a the beat HD 24 recorder that is availible, but I will not be hooking up to a computer or anything digital other than the recording machine and 2 tracks.

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

11. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

I have the Mackie MDR 24 which I use more or less like an analog 24 track. TO ME, the sound quality is good (better than my 20 bit ADATS and the Yamaha AW4416 I had or have). I do plan on upgrading converters and clock eventually, but it works fine for me now. It has never had a malfunction and is very easy to use.

12. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Thank you Coldsnow!

You see, thats all I neded to know, because I have been considering the Mackie deck from the possible 3 (although I hate thier boards!)

It looks pretty solied, I like the buttons (seems friendly and analog like, which I prefer!)

I see they have a MDR+....What is different about this model?

Also there is the SDR....Whats the difference?

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

13. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

I don't know about the MDR+, but the SDR has both analog and ADAT digital ins and outs. Nice feature where the MDR just has AD and DA converters. You have to get seperate digital ins and outs but then you can't use the analog outs of the respective 8 tracks. The MDR converters, however, are suppose to be of better quality then the SDR.

14. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Thats interesting!

15. mwagener

mwagener Active Member

If money is no problem, you might want to look at the Euphonix R-1
    http://www.euphonix.com

I've had mine in operation for 2 years straight, almost every day, no problems, no crashes, sounds absolutely great, handles like a 2" machine, and it is the price of a small house (or a very big car).

The system consists of separate parts - A/D converters - D/A converters - disc drives - backup (Exabyte) drives - remote control, MADI hub and studio computer - and can be built to suit and expanded later. The Euphonix FC 727 converter hooks up digitally to everyhting from MADI to ProTools, SDIF-2, AES, ProDigi, TDIF and ADAT optical.

At the time when I had to make a purchase decision, RADAR was very close in price to the R-1 (for 48 tracks), at todays prices RADAR probably costs a third of the R-1. I have worked with the RADAR in my studio, side by side with the R-1 and I personally like the sound of the R-1 a little better, YMMV

16. Henchman

Henchman Active Member

Well, I guess it all depends on your price range.

I have been using Fairlights now for the last year and a half. And they are by far the best sounding digital recorders I've used. I haven't heard the R1 though.

But, if they're out of you're price Range, I have heard really good things about the Radar. For me there's a couple of things that are important:

1. Sound quality.
    2. Stability
    3. User friendly.

For me, it was important to have something that was a dedicated platform. I didn't want a Mac or Microsoft dependant machine.

Mark

17. stedel

stedel Guest

18. "Thanks, the Manley gear is great, I absolutly love the MU and Massive Passive! (Still havn't found outside of vocals and bass drum what I like the duel mono pre for!)"

You should be aware that the dual mono is way nonlinear and responds very differently depending on the input level, the gain switch, how hot the mic is and other similar things.
    Big changes in the sound and texture.
    Some experimentation and tweaking with this should leave you finding it useful for quite a number of purposes...
    Ted

19. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Thank you Ted,

I apreciate the support on the Manley Pre! I supose that I have not used it as openly as I could have and still need to properly test the unit out, for my main delema with it is I still do not have a clear idea of it's sound/voice.

I have a 2-610 that I fell in love with right away, because I could use it for just about everything and it colored the sound in a very pleaseing manner.

I will play with gain stage more (mine is 60db) , it is a rather simple preamp.

On the digital recorders: what price range are we talking about with the Fairlights and Dream Satellites?

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

"The present day Composer refuses to die!" Edgar Varese - 1921

20. damster

damster Member

Glad you gent's are in a position to talk about Fairlight.

The tascam MX 2424 can be recorded on removable scsi and then opened directly in slo-tools with all relative time positions in tact.I'd love to hear what it sounds like.