1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Which computer is best?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Matz, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Matz

Matz Guest

I'm about to buy a laptop to run Cubase and later on Mbox 2 on, and I'm down to two options. The problem is that I don't know much about computers so you could give me your advice as to which one is better of these two it would be great:

1. Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 2548, 2,2 GHz AMD Turion64 X2 TL-64
    2048MB DDR2 (2x1024MB)
    250GB 5400Rpm

or

2. Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi 2530
    Processor 1,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7100
    2048MB DDR2 (2x1024MB)
    160GB 5400Rpm

2. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

I don't know about Cubase, but Digidesign is particular when it comes to PCs and their components. If you think you're going to go that route later down the road, make sure you research it on Digidesign's website (under Support).

But if you're going to start off with Cubase, instead of switching to Pro Tools, why not upgrade your Cubase? You might end up saving money.

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

And you might end up with a far more flexible and powerful system too...

4. Matz

Matz Guest

yeah that's probably true, but which computer would you recommend of the two?

5. I'm not sure about the two models you have suggested but I personally wouldn't recommend a Fujitsu Siemens laptop.

I have an Intel based Amilo Pro V2040 and from day one I had bother. It may have been a hardware issue but the keyboard on it doesn't function properly, missing out random keys when you press them. Also the keys are pretty fragile.

I no longer use this so maybe the newer one's are ok.

I recently purchased an Acer Travelmate 5520 laptop with an AMD Turion 64 x2 CPU, 2048MB RAM and it runs very smoothly with now problems, even with vista installed! Have a look at this laptop and see if it would do you.

Hope this helps.

6. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Of the two I would recommend the second one. The Core 2 Duos smoke equivalent AMD processors and even though the GHz are different, I would guess that the Intel would still have the edge.

But as mentioned above, if you ARE going to go to a PT system, you need to run the specs by digidesign first.

7. casper

casper Guest

Mbox Requirements

http://209.10.227.216/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=24354

8. casper

casper Guest

Mbox Req.

http://209.10.227.216/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=24354

9. Matz

Matz Guest

I'm giving up on the whole PC thing I think and I'm gonna buy a Macbook with 2,0 ghz dual core. That way I know I'm getting quality and I know that it'l work great with audio. And they're only about 300 dollars more than the ones I mentioned in the beginning. What do you think?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI,
    well that USED to be the answer however they DO NOT have TI chipset firewire anymore.

so alot of interfaces WONT work...

do a google serach "pro audio laptop"

you will find what you need starting $1100.

you NEED a Texas Instruments Native firewire chipset laptop for audio.

Scott
    ADK

11. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Doesn't the new Leopard OS have issues with Pro Tools as of now? Or has that been taken care of?

Scott, are you saying the FW chipset is required for the interface, the external hard drive, or both?

12. anonymous

anonymous Guests

hI,
    YEs Leopard has issues with PT.
    FW chipset is most important to the Audio interface.
    Ext drives generally work (to some degree) even on the crappiest of chipsets

Scott

13. Matz

Matz Guest

I just found out also that the macs tend to crash a lot so making music on them can be a bit of a nightmare, so I'm back to an Intel core duo 2,0 ghz. That should do the trick easily too, I'm not very demanding when it comes to how many tracks I use at the same time etc.

14. Matz

Matz Guest

I have another question by the way, what laptops to you have that you're recording music on and that you're happy with?

15. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

When did the MacBooks switch firewire chipsets?

16. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

i don't know where you heard that, but i have a macbook pro with 2,2 ghz and it never crashed. after 4 month of daily use with many different programs installed it works perfectly. i couldn't say that about my windows-based pcs i had before. i can work with my recording software and still receive emails or browse the web simultaniously without any problems.

my m-audio firewire 410 works fine as well. no problems with firewire.

i'm not saying, go and buy a macbook. but if you want to there's no reason you shouldn't.
    vista sucks anyway...

17. Drewslum

Drewslum Active Member

PCs better than Macs for audio!!?? Uh I don't know about that.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HMMMM,
    let's see Spec wise they are now identical.
    the only difference is the OS.

Leopard dont work with anything audio right now
    Xp does

MacBook Pro no longer has TI chipset so it has issues with alot of interfaces

you CAN buy TI based laptops for windows.
    not for Appple OS.

however they are both tools, both work and to debate it is foolishness.
    especially when they are now the exact same hardware

Scott
    ADK

19. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

So far the only reports I have seen with the chipset issue have been presonus and RME interfaces.

The work around is to put a firewire hub in the chain.

MOTU units are sensitive to non TI chipsets, but my 828 has no problems on my new Macbooks so far. (just had it for a week, haven't totally checked it out.)

8)

20. Matz

Matz Guest

yeah, but I'm talking about the cheaper macs that are just called Macbook, I think they tend to crash a lot. Yours is about double price of what they are so it's probably on a whole other level quality wise I would guess and therefore you don't have that problem.