1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

which control suface?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sickyboy, Nov 26, 2005.

1. sickyboy

sickyboy Guest

Tired of mouse and keyboard. Anyone using a mackie control universal or a command 8? I'm leaning towards the mackie. For PT LE.

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

A lot of what controller you decide on will depend on the DAW/Software you are using it with.

I had a Mackie controllers for a while and finally took it back. Mackie decided to use MIDI and not firewire to control the DAW and it has problems. I was using it with Samplitude and it would only allow me to fade up one or two channels at a time. If I tried to fade up more channels they would not go up together and only one channel would move up or none would move up. Also the Mackie I had seemed to have problems with the numeric channel display and it would not always work or would be showing me the same information even when I changed channels. My computer is running Samplitude 8.2, Windows XP Pro all current updates, all drives ATA 100 or better, 3.0 gig Pentium Processor, 1 gig of memory. This was a current Mackie controller and had all the updates done to it. I think Mackie would have been better to use firewire as the midi is just too slow.

This is one person's problems and your mileage may vary but I would only get a controller that you can take back if it does not work with your setup.

MTCW and FWIW

3. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

I've noticed a couple hot looking new products in this arena at musiciansfriend.com they have a new Tascam for under $1,000 which is a control surface *and* an analog mixer all in one. It can work freely as either. I also saw a similar product from M-audio.

I just bought an Onyx 1220 but if I had seen the new Tascam combo I would have checked it out first. I use a Behringer BCF200 and BCR200 for my control syrfaces, tricky to setup but fairly robust. I'm not sure I would recomment them as a control surface though per se. I say check out the new Tascam, it looks *very* impressive for the price. Here it is:
    http://www.tascam.com/Products/fw1082_2.html
    http://

I wonder what the quality is like? It seems to be a very appealing product. :D

4. sickyboy

sickyboy Guest

I have seen that Tascam, but I dont think I can use this with pro tools LE. But that's about how much I want spend.