Which equipment will you use in 15 years

Discussion in 'Live Sound' started by ghellquist, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ghellquist

ghellquist Guest

looking at my brand new computer. My, I think, hope this one will be around a while. The last one very quickly went from great to a tired dog when looking a performance.

Open my mic cabinet and look at my Sennheiser MKH406. They stopped producing them 25 years ago. Still some of my favourite tools for spot mics of woodwinds.

What of my current equipment will still be used by me in 15 years time is my question. Probably not my computer. Probably not those cheap extra mics I bought. Probably the MKH 406.

What are your takes on this, what will survive 15 years?

2. Wooly

Wooly Guest

Good topic! And my current philosophy.

1969 McIntosh 240 tube amp

My mics- I've had my radio shack PZM's for 10 years already :roll:

My Joe Meek SC2

Neumann V476B stereo rack, don't know about the rest of my pre's

My Adat XT *just kidding*

I'm hopefully scoring a midas board here in the next few weeks *the 240* so that should be around awhile

My yammy stereo eq and digital reverb

My muckie brick

I'd like to get a 2" machine after my adats die, so that could be around awhile also- especially if I pop for a studer.
  3. JoeH

JoeH Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA/ Greenville, DE
    Home Page:
    Just as the ad says: Name the one piece of gear in your studio that's still the best after 20 years.

My DPA 4006's, all the way. Ditto for the DPA 4006 TLs, too.
  4. kozzy

kozzy Guest

old gear yes

I hope iwill still be using my 1975 (Iceman/Artist) as it still is the sweetest sounding and playing guitar,(better than my paul, tele, strat etc)
    After trying Mangos 18wt amp thats my recording amp, but the marshall will still be there, as for toys i,ll stick with the vox se unit
  5. gilligan204

gilligan204 Guest

My AKG Tube , Roland SRV-2000
  6. route909

route909 Guest

My K&M mic stands will hopefully survive. My 6 ch preamp. Maybe my 4u rack case. Hopefully my monitors and my headphones. Too bad things get outdated. Especially my cheap gear... :x

7. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Schoeps baby, Schoeps.

And hopefully my ears...
  8. mdemeyer

mdemeyer Active Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Dublin, CA USA
    John Hardy M1 and various Schoeps mics - no question.
  9. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Jul 21, 2002
    OSA pres, Peluso mics, and the dynamics (RE 16, 63, SM7, etc)....
  10. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2004
    The Brauner VM-1 KHEs, Neumann M50s, M49s, U67s, AKG C12s, C24 and ELA M-251s, Schoeps M222s that I'm hopefully going to be able to buy/steal over the coming years!

Of the stuff that I have, U87(hopefully modified by Klaus Heyne), AKG C34, C426 (probably, but I'm curious about its forthcoming replacement). AT4060 falls into the future classic category IMHO.

Behringer B2-Pro, but not as a microphone. Maybe I will have figured out what it is supposed to be by then.

Apogee Mini-Me will have fallen apart. Benchmark DAC-1, if it isn't obsolete by then. Perhaps I should say if it IS obsolete by then, as part of my 'vintage' digital setup.

Grado headphones.

I wonder if Neumann and AKG will figure out by then how they used to make mics.

11. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2004
    I've just upgraded the status of the C426 to definite keeper. Initially I found it a little boring, but now the thing is starting to wake up and sounds fantastic.

12. recordista

recordista Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Silver City, NM
    Home Page:
    Most of my mics, some of my preamps, and hopefully my wits ;)