1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Which HD Specs to Consider when Buying Hard Drives for DAWs?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Panos, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Panos

Panos Guest

Dear Readers,

Just recently, I came across a couple of comparative tests regarding fast Hard Drives.

And I was wondering, if anyone with a relative experience on DAW Recording, could tell me which Hard Drive Specs to look for, when considering buying Hard Drives to build a DAW System.
    In other words: Which Hard disk performance specs are the most important to us "music guys", to perform better on a DAW?

More case-specifically, I'm Using Nuendo 3 and Pro Tools software, and I'm Trying to Choose the best performing SATA Hard Drives for:

1) System Disk
    2) (3X) VST Instruments Disks
    3) (2X) SATA RAID Audio Recording/Playback Disks

Which of the HD Specs (like Average Random Access Time Read/Write, Maximum/Minimum Trensfer Rates etc., etc.), are the most important to look for, in each of the above 3 uses?

I open-call anybody who might interestingly concern, and I appreciate your input!

2. Kent L T

Kent L T Active Member

You didn't include noise level or heat levels.
    Most 7200 rpm drives are fine. I picked a single platter drive because it was quieter and ran cooler than the rest. If you need more storage than a single platter can deliver then a multi platter drive will have to do. There is a pretty good performance chart of hard drives on Tom's Hardware website that could help you decide which one to use.