1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Which mic for cabs?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by eddies880, Jul 7, 2005.

1. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Looking for a higher end mic to record guitar cabs/amps.
    Ive used sm57/58,ksm44.
    Im looking at only using 1 mic {up-frt} to get the job done,the preamp Im using is a Sebatron 2000e.
    Any "well known" mics in mind?
  2. RAIN0707

RAIN0707 Guest

First mic that comes to mind is the Sennheiser 421. It's by far the smoothest mic I have ever used for recording guitar cabs. I've never been stuck with an unusable sound after tracking with a 421. Also try maybe a KEL hm-1, seems to be quite a buzz around here about that little mic. It's a small diaphragm condenser for about 100 bucks but I've heard people like Kurt Foster commend its ability to capture guitar cabs.
  3. SM57 beta does the trick nicely for high gain mesa/peavy 5150 style amps i find, whereas the Sennheiser MD421 works best if you're gonna be micing marshalls. But it's all a matter of taste, i prefer the sennheiser on marshalls because they tend to be more high-end/mids and less 'body' and the 57 on the others because i find it adds a bit more of a cutting sound to very high gain tones.
  4. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

Mar 26, 2005
    I like the Senn 609 Silver myself along with the SM57.
  5. stickers

stickers Active Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Lowell MA
    Home Page:
    if you look at the frequency response chart for the sm57 and the hm-1 you will notice they are very similar but i bet hm-1 has more balls or something though
  6. Hardtailed

Hardtailed Guest

I used a Kel HM-1 on my cab last friday (for a gig through, not studio, but through a really good PA, so still gives a good idea). I never liked the high-mid boost of the 57, it always sounds "boxy" to my hear and finding the sweet spot is hard. I always end up cranking the amp loud on stage so people can enjoy the true tone and put it just a bit in the PA for more spread.

With the HM-1, I just stuck it right against the grille, didn't fiddle around with placement and it sounded just amazing. The soundman had a few spare 421s and a E409 with him and was really impressed with the sound of the HM-1. The amp wasn't that loud on stage and was turned towards the drummer, so we were just hearing the miced sound.

My particular HM-1's frequency response is kind of the opposite of the SM57, instead of the usual presence boost, there's actually less response from 1KHz to 3KHz and there a slight boost from 400Hz to 600Hz (they come with a chart). This is exactly what my Marshall needed: it has quite enough presence to not need an additionnal boost (G12T-75 speakers...) and the slight boost in the low-mid warms it up a bit.

This might not work for everyone, but it's surely a handy mic to have when working with a guitar cab. At the very least, it could make a usable room mic with a 57 up close.
  7. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    i used the hm1 for live sound. i will never do that agien. i got a great sound. but i also got every thing else that was on stage.

for a great crunch sound i often use a hm1 and studio projects c4(or simaler). carfull on phase.
  8. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Who makes the c4?
  9. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Thanks for the info------but I need info on (recording mics)
  10. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

How much $$$$$$ are we talking about for the MD421?
  11. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Has anyone tried the Shure KSM27 ? for recording cabs
  12. I got mine from musiciansadvocate.com a few months back for a mere $299 a piece, but i think that was sale price, and i did have to pay some hefty customs to get them over from the states. Check the site out anyways since it has some great deals http://www.musiciansadvocate.com/clearance_details.asp?inventoryID=SMD421MKII
  13. Hardtailed

Hardtailed Guest

I understand that .Technically the HM-1 IS a recording mic, I just decided to try it out on stage for fun. Since the PA system there was a nice balanced system that's not running on the limiter the whole time, and the board was this huge Yamaha PM3000 instead of the typical Mackie/Behringer, and that we were really hearing the miced sound and not the "acoustic" sound of the amp (using a wireless so I can hear from the FOH side) + being an outside gig where room acoustics are out of the equation, I thought it gave a reliable idea.

I rarely keep my Marshall at home, but when I do I'll record a few clips of it with the HM-1 and a SM57 for everyone to compare.
  14. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

15. bobthing

bobthing Guest

I rarely use only one mic. Last time I tracked guitars, I blended an SM57 with an AT4033. Really liked that. Of course, watch for phase issues with multiple mics.

Mic placement has a *lot* to do with your guitar sound. Moving the mic even a half-inch can change the sound when you're close micing a guitar cab. Try different speakers on the cab. Some might sound better than others.

Also, rock guitarists (especially metal guys) tend to use too much distortion and not enough midrange. Try to get them to back off the gain a little, especially if you're layering multiple tracks.
  16. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Is the AT4033 a condensor?
  17. bobthing

bobthing Guest

18. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I like my KEL Audio HM-1 for guitar cabs, it really beefs it up.

19. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Mexico City
    Home Page:
    421 all the way ...
    RE-20 works great too
  20. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

I will say one thing,you guys are talking about mics that Ive never heard of.
    I also have to mention that,Ive used "cheap" Cad condensor mics that sound like $*^t through my Mackie,but come alive through my Sebatron preamp.
    From what Ive read so far-----there is a lot of of A.T. users out there that like what they hear.
    The only mics Im using are:SM57,SM58,KSM 44,Joe Meek JM 27,Cad M37-------------so with that said,my mic locker is very small.