Which Plextor cd-drive for mastering studio?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by nacron2, Sep 23, 2006.

1. nacron2

nacron2 Guest

Hi all,
    I need a suggestion which type of Plextor cd-drive is optimal for mastering studio.
    I´ve been resolved to PX-716UF, but (is said) it is ending type yet and I´m not sure what else to buy.
    Thanks for any opinion.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

The 716 is the one. If the new Plextor Plexwriter Premium is available near you, that'd be the first pick.

Generally, you need a drive that will allow you to run PlexTools Professional (not just PlexTools).

3. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

I've been using the PX-760 for a few months now and it has been great. Even does 18X on DVDs, if you are into that kind of thing...

4. nacron2

nacron2 Guest

Thanks for your both responses, I shall choose one!
    Cheers.

5. Massive Mastering

Yes and no - The 716 runs PTPro - The 760 does not.

Currently, there's really only one choice if those are the features you want.

And if you're creating production masters, those are features you *need* to have.

6. nacron2

nacron2 Guest

Yes John, you are right. Since yesterday javascript:emoticon(':?')
    ConfusedI read technical information of the Plextors we was talking about and I agree that Plexwriter Premium2 is for cd-mastering issue optimal. Plextools Professional are available.
    Technically, do you prefer an external unit?
    Thanks for your reply.

7. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Then mine is defective!? :? It runs PToolsPro like a champ.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/760A.htm
    Seriously; might as well pay a few more bucks and be able to burn DVDs too.

8. Massive Mastering

Hmmm... My aplogies - Plextor told me that the 716 was the only one left that allowed for C1/C2 checks. It wouldn't be the first time they didn't exactly have the facts straight...

If this isn't the case, I might order a half dozen myself... I only have one spare drive left - And it's a 712...

The Q-Check is fully functional for BLER and all? Jitter & focus & yada, yada?

9. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

yada yada yada; yup. :)

It is a fairly new drive (came out in the spring or summer I think), so the Plextor people may have been correct when they told you what was available.

10. nacron2

nacron2 Guest

Ok guys, just I´ve been ordered PW Premium2.
    BTW: in EU is PX-760A available from China. (I have the tetimony).
    What about in US?

Reggie, kind regards to Simpsons! :D

11. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't even realize they were doing a Plexwriter#2. Seems a little expensive for just a CD burner, especially when you can get the DVD one for about the same $$$.

I also found this in a thread on Cdfreaks:

haha, thanks!