1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Which Windows OS

Discussion in 'Computing' started by Dan Theman, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dan Theman

Dan Theman Active Member

Well, I am building a new Recording Machine and was wondering the Pros and Cons of windows OS.

I am thinking of going for windows 7 home but my bassist is telling me to get windows 7 professional 64bit.

We aren't a professional studio but we do produce professional home recordings for our band and other local musicians.

Is there any noticeable benefits to choose Win 7 Prof over Home and 64bit over 32bit?

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

What DAW and plugins are you using?

3. Dan Theman

Dan Theman Active Member

The whole system is as follows,
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO ATX AMD Motherboard
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Quantity of 3 (2 for raid set up on OS, 1 for recording storage)
    With a Typical CD/DVD Drive and 500W Power Supply.

Audio Interface is the USB M-Audio Fast Track Pro. The audio out goes to a separate receiver which powers my Monitors.

recording on Cubase 5.

All types of recording Direct Instruments, Mic'ed Instruments, Vocals, MIDI.

I think that it, let me know if i forgot anything.

4. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

I use Win7-64 bit now. I can't begin to enumerate all the subtle and not-so-subtle differences. If you are wanting to make sure the system will handle anything you throw at it, then get Pro or Ultimate.

And 64-bit is the wave of the future. 32-bit is on it's way out. 64-bit can access more RAM and so forth.

Sorry for the ambiguous reply. It's almost beddy-by time for me.

5. Dan Theman

Dan Theman Active Member

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated, get some rest!! Windows 7 Pro 64bit here I come!

6. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

M2c...
    Apropos W7,64 bit and Cubase:

The situation of 64 bit ( fully ) compatible plugs has improved quite a bit. Yet, some specific plugs ( you surely visit the Cubase forum...) are till problematic ( FX or VSTi . J-Bridge and SB bit bridges are still a bit quirky with some, when running 32-bit software inside Cubase 64-bit version.

If you use the Cubase 32-bit version on an 64-bit OS you can avoid many of those potential problems and still get more RAM to work with than on a 32-bit OS. I work with Nuendo 5 and it is as solid as it gets in this config. Anyhow, you can install Cubase 64-bit on the same machine alongside a 32-bit version and the switch to or co-existence of both versions is quite unproblematic.

7. Dan Theman

Dan Theman Active Member

Interesting, I will have to keep that in mind about Cubase. Thanks!

8. Kennith Hillis

Kennith Hillis Active Member

Windows 7 Professional is the best because of it's "XP mode". It doesn't work like you would think, but it is a nice feature. I have used it several times and it works perfectly everytime. I highly suggest using this OS. You will be up to date will still being able to use old software. That's the biggest reason why Vista completely failed.

Windows 7: Compare editions - Windows 7 Professional - This will allow you to compare the different versions.