1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Why Yamaha ns-10m is placed in every major studio around th

Discussion in 'Recording' started by anonymous, Apr 16, 2004.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Hi there , I hope someone to tell me why Yamaha ns-10m is placed in every major studio around the world , is it the great choice for nearfield monitoring , I have a pair Genelec 1030 with tannoy Sub 10 a I think the sound is great ,but musicans looking for Yamaha ns -10 ,,,,Whyyyyyyyyy ????? :cry:

2. TeeME

TeeME Guest

translation. Once you learn their ways, they translate to all speaker types from esoteric to a clock radio. They expose weaknesses in a micdown.

those who hate them and say they sound ugly...well, you have to make your mix sound GREAT on them..and it can be done. Once you do that, it will sound great on most systems.

They have linear dynamics.

Sometimes the best sounding speakers are the worst ones to use while mixing. I personally can do well on a set of auratones also.

3. cruisemates

cruisemates Active Member

TeeMe...

I could always use Auratones to check my mix for balance, but I never wanted to start or do a whole mix on them. Didn't sound right. I did almost all of my mixing on UREI time aligns or Big Reds. JBL 4311s used to be the standard "small" studio monitor, but they were TERRIBLE to mix on - the low and high end were way exagerated.

Personally, I have never met the perfect monitor system. Any system requires that you work with it, get to know it, and learn how to mix on it to make competitive mixes that sound good anywhere.

4. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

ditto.
    you know wht these are great? one speaker. no cross over to mess with the midrange. Especially effective at vocal rides with just one in mono. Also...place on thr floor behind the desk gives you that forest from the trees big picture that listening from another room can do...in real time with your hands on the faders (or mouse). Give me a pair of auratones and ns10's with the YST-160 sub and Igot everthing i need.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Thanx guys , ........ I checked today my local Yamaha dealer but thay said NS 10 is for ever unsupported :?

Someone to know a place anywhere in the world with a pair for sale :roll:

6. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

They come up on Ebay every once in a while but like anything used you have to be careful that they are still in good condition as Yamaha does not have some of the components any more to repair them. Maybe you really don't want a pair. They were the "hot" speaker for decades but not so much any more. The main reason they were everywhere is that it was one reference that everyone had so you could take your mixes from studio a to studio b and still see how they sounded. The Mackie HR 824s seem to be the new "standard" and not only do the sound a whole lot better mixes done on them seem to translate well on other systems.

The other idea is to make your speakers portable so you can take them with you if you leave your studio and go somewhere else for a mixdown. I have a pair of Genele 1030s that I have in a custom case that I can take along to a mixdown or to a live recording session and have a monitor that I am familiar with.

Hope this helps.

-TOM-

7. anonymous

anonymous Guests

.....I'm right with U Tom , I use Genelec 1030 with Sub and feel very comfortable ,but musicians comes into my studio each time lookin for Ns 10 . I allways do the stuff seems to be a perfect for the artists and maybe I'll check E-bay careful .Thanx a lot !

8. RecorderMan

I agree with thomas on not getting NS10's for the reason's he stated. But I disagree on the Mackie's...I personally think they are not a very good monitor and I've never seen tham anywhere other than in theroom of a novice. For the money I'd very highly recommend the Yamaha MSP5's; they're not expensive and they're self powered. If you can afford a little more get the MSP10's. Genelec's are allright, but too expensive and the Yamaha's are just fine.

9. golli

golli Active Member

This is RO's review department take on the Msp 5's:

(Dead Link Removed)

10. stalefish

stalefish Active Member

Re: Why Yamaha ns-10m is placed in every major studio aroun

get your friends to listen to Quested monitors for a change of opinion :D

11. lofi

lofi Guest

what about bluesky skysystem one ? how do they translate ? :?

12. blackbox

blackbox Guest

Even though I've read some poor reviews on them, the KRK V8's work well for me. I got a pair a couple of months ago for my home setup. I've been able to mix intuitively and have had good results with translation. I never monitor loudly, maybe that's the key. I, too, am puzzled by the NS 10's popularity. In the past I've used them infrequently and in conjunction with other speakers. Now, I'm working out of a studio featuring the NS10s and the sub. It's giving me hell! Can't find the damn sweet spot anymore! Might have to star taking my V8's to the studio.

13. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I've gotta agree with Thomas and disagree with Recorder Man re: the Mackies (yeah, I know a lot of folks here hate Mackie). I've been using the 824's for the past year and have never had mixes translate so well. I had NS-10's and appreciate that when you get a good mix on them, they sound great everywhere, but I get the same results with less effort on the Mackies. I started engineering in the late '70's.....if I'm a novice, when do I become a pro?

14. RecorderMan

when you leave nashville... :lol:

15. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

i got mine new, new NEEEEEWWW !!! HAHAHAHAHAA

*runs naked across the room*

16. anonymous

anonymous Guests

get your friends to listen to Quested monitors for a change of opinion

...How do they sound /Quested / , is it near to the Genelec ?

17. Thomas W. Bethel

I had a client bring his pair of V8 KRKs to my mastering studio so he could listen to the mastering on them when we were done. They were his "normal" pair for monitoring. We listened to them and made the decision that there was something terribly wrong with them. They did not sound correct. I was using them with my Benchmark DAC-1 with balanced outs. I tried them again with the unbalanced outs of the Benchmark and they sounded better. I hooked up my trusty Neutrik test set to them and tried a frequency sweep from 20 to 20kHz. They did not sound even on the balanced inputs and sounded better on the unbalanced inputs. We finally decided that their was something wrong with the speakers and my client sent them back to KRK after first calling and getting an RMA. After waiting about 6 weeks he called them and asked when they would be back and was told that he would have to wait a while longer. The finally came back to him 3 months later. When he got them back he hooked them up and they sounded worse than when he sent them. He called KRK and the they were very nice and told him that his woofers had a different cone material than is now shipping with the speakers and they would be happy to replace them for cost if he wanted to ship them back again. They also said that they could find nothing wrong with the speakers but they replaced some parts anyway.

Long story but at the end he decided to trade in the KRK V8s on some Mackie 824s and has been a happy person ever since. His mixes translate well on my ALON IVs and when I do a mastering for him my mastering translates well into his Mackies and into his car stereo and other systems he has played them on. Moral of the story....be careful of which speakers you buy as they are a long term investment and you don't want to get burned.

Just for informational sake why do people here think so badly of Mackie's ? Thanks....

-TOM-

18. Thomas W. Bethel

The problem will be if you need parts for them since Yamaha has discontinued them. Maybe get an additional tweeter and woofer for spares if Yamaha still has any in stock?

Just a suggestion.

-TOM-

19. Thomas W. Bethel

There is a pro studio near here that does mostly commerical productions. They use the Genelec 1030s in all their studios and for surround with the subs. They sound GREAT!

When I retire I am going to build myself a surround system for home with three more 1030s and a sub. Boy will that sound GREAT!

Some people do not like 1030's (speakers are very personal preference) but I really like them for remote work and can't wait to get my system in surround. It is a couple of years off so maybe by then they will be obsolete and we will be listening to plasma speakers while we watch TV on our Plasma screens.

Hard to see into the furture easy to learn from the past - my dad's favorite quote.

-TOM-

20. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

hey tom, nice suggestion, there are still spares here in mexico city where i'm based, so it is a good idea to buy some extra woofers ... the tweeters are still in production ? or they are no longer made ...