1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Win2K SP3 is out

Discussion in 'Recording' started by audiohead, Aug 2, 2002.

1. audiohead

audiohead Guest

Get it here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/SP/SP3/NT5/EN-US/w2ksp3.exe (124Mb)

and support tools (dunno what's that)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/tool/SP3/NT5/EN-US/SP3SupportTools.exe

ah

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

cool! Although I'm an XP person now! lol :p
    Opus

3. Blutone

Blutone Guest

You might want to check this before you do the SP3 thing.

4. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Oh fine!!! Just great!!! I read the post by audiohead, and rush out and install the sp3 upgrade on 2 of my computers, then I see this!!! Thank goodness that I didn't install it on my studio computer yet! Anyone have any comments on this???

5. Blutone

Blutone Guest

Yeah, I do. I don't know a lot about it. But, what I hear is, you can disable the service. BUT, even if you do disable auto updates, you might not be turning off the source that M$ uses to get the info for auto updates. The way the EULA is, basically leaves M$ a back door to your computer. XP's first SP is the same way.

Here is where I heard the buzz.

6. Blutone

Blutone Guest

Oh yeah. Sorry about the late "heads up" DH. :roll:

7. Doublehelix

Hehe...no problem Blutone...thanks for the heads up! I acutally disabled the auto update service too, but with Microsoft, ya never know...

8. Blutone

Blutone Guest

If you want to go back to the SP2, you can uninstall SP3. If you follow my little buzzlink, they talk about it a lilttle more. :D

9. Blutone

Blutone Guest

DH, I mentioned your situation. Most of the people on the board are comp. sci. majors or geeks of some sort. You know the type, network admins, tech support, DAW users, me,hehe. If you want an account to post, talk to varebel or wildwolf.

Hope this helps. :D

10. audiohead

audiohead Guest

Guys,

I'd like to mention 2 things:

1) I use a double-boot config, in which the DAW (win2k) part has no Internet access whatsoever
    2) I always make Ghost snapshots prior to installing any important software

You may consider taking these simple precautions too.

ah

11. Doublehelix

Here is an interesting post from the Microsoft Knowledge base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308883

It appears that earlier versions of W2K (SP1 and SP2) have been truncating audio to 16 bits due to a problem with the kmixer. This has supposedly been fixed with SP3.

OK, so I am a moron, and am a bit confused here... :D )

Can anyone explain to me what the kmixer is? Does *all* audio go through the kmixer regardless of your audio card? Is this the "standard" Windows audio mixer that comes up when you dbl-click the speaker icon in the tray?

12. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Windows, no matter what version will always truncate audio to 16 bits when it goes through the default windows mixer or any part of the OS audio implementation....It's just a windows thang..I'll have my engineer explain it to me and I'll relay it back...I'm in Albany NY right now so that will be kind of hard to do...I'll do it when I get back on Wednesday.
    Basically the Kmixer...Kernel...NTFS Kernel or Fat32 Kernel....
    Opus