1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Windows 8. Anyone taken the dive yet?

Discussion in 'Computing' started by hueseph, Jan 12, 2013.

1. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

I bought and downloaded the upgrade to Windows 8 but have yet to install it. I have it on my laptop and so far so good. Even without a touch monitor. I'm a little leery of installing it on my DAW though. Anyone taken the plunge yet?

2. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Not yet huesph, but I've seriously thought about it!
    I will interested in the opinions...
    How is the experience so far with it on your laptop?
    I've heard the "tiles" layout is a bit different..

3. hueseph

I don't use the tiles much. There are ways to avoid having to use the "Metro" interface, which was designed for touch screens. I find myself flipping between "Metro" and the classic desktop mode. There is a "Classic Windows Shell" for Windows 8 that I like to use. It works well and gives you the start menu back and it's customizable. You can style it after Windows XP if you want to. I just go back to the Win 7 style start menu. The Apps are nice. You can install a lot of free apps. Two particularly that I like are N-Track Tuner which is a very nice and surprisingly accurate chromatic tuner and TuneIn Radio which gives you feeds to many stations from all over North America.

Things I don't like is that it is largely dependent on the cloud. There are a lot of live feeds which show up on the start screen: Email, News and the like. Of course you don't have to be online for Windows to work but seeing all those 404 errors makes me feel uneasy.

Otherwise, it's a pretty peppy OS. Much easier on the CPU.

4. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

"The Cloud". A wondrous thing. Safe, secure access...fewer worries about hard drive crashes and lost data. All stored on huge banks at central locations for easy access. Bits and bytes floating around through the air with wireless devices, and into these huge databases. No longer relying on physically secured storage media, disconnected...but everything all in real time, to and from, at undisclosed distant locations.

I mean...what could possibly go wrong? Maybe they'll name the massive central one (the one connected to all others) "Syrinx"?

Kapt.Krunch

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've been reading mixed messages on it. A lot of people say they are seeing 10 to 30 percent increase in performance over 7. That's pretty impressive. Samplitude/Sequoia 12 are windows 8 ready now and engineers like it, so I'm thinking about it. But some drivers aren't ready and all it takes is one thing to reek havoc to mess everything up. My greatest fear.
    Looks like this OS is going to be a good one but I'm thinking 6 months or more for me until I'm certain everyone is on par.

6. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

The upgrade price is right that's for sure....

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I'm going to wait a bit for Win8. Audition 6 doesn't play perfectly with it sometimes and now that my daughter is 3 I don't have the time to mess with it. I am guessing applications that have issues with Win8 will likely be because of the graphics UI's. As to performance improvements, if the computer is already highly tweaked I wouldn't imagine one gains 30%. If one hasn't tweaked it is possible that one might see a huge improvement.

8. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

or "Hal"... ;)

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I reading on the Samplitude Private Forums people are using Classic Shell with W8

10. Nutti

Nutti Active Member

Ive got it on my laptop and like it alot! I specially like the fast navigation and shifting between programs is just one click on the mouse, thats nice. And having everything on a main startpage is just great! Quick access to internet, email, weather forecast, news and so on, and you are able to modify it exactly as you want it! I think its a huge step from win7 and a huge step ahead in computerusage, probably thanks to the smartphones and their one touch access.
    Im not planning to run any sequencer on it but I installed wavelab 6 on it yesterday and that ran just fine. I guess it takes awhile for manufacturers to get win8 updates and drivers to work with it so I wouldnt be in any hurry of upgrading a daw computer yet though...like audiokid said, give it six months and then see what has happened.

11. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I've never been one to jump into a new format as many do. I like to give them time to catch up on the drivers, but to also work out the bugs.
    Truth be told, I'm still using XP on one of my desktops. LOL

I never did mess with Windows Vista after hearing from my friends what a nightmare it was...

User double clicks program....

Vista: "are you sure you want to do this?

Click yes.

Vista: "So, you want to do this?"

click YES.

Windows: "are you really truly absolutely positive you want to do this?"

CLICK YES!
    You sonova....

Vista: "the program you have chosen is not responding. Please reboot your PC and try again."

;)

12. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

i still use xp and ptle 7 on my laptop at home. it works fine for what it is. my computer was pretty much designed w/ xp in mind, so i'm going to upgrade OS's when i get a new computer in a year or two. i'm still kinda waiting to see how many more cores there gonna stick into the processor section (guessing 16 is next), and what happens w/ thunderbolt. it took me quite a while to get this thing to work the way i wanted, i'm afraid to mess w/ it.

it seems like even when manufacture's catch up, it's on a like a public trial for a couple months till they work out the bugs, and get the user feedback. maybe it's cuz i;m not real into computer tweaking and the like, so i tend to wait till things are pretty tried and true.

13. hueseph

The newer i7 chips with hyper threading give you a virtual 16 cores already. Even then, Pro Tools only wants you to use 12 of those cores for "efficiency". In other words the engine cannot think to spare some power for the OS. Only in Pro Tools do you have to assign power to the host computer.

14. MrEase

MrEase Active Member

Interesting, I was only aware of the "hexacore" 6 core i7's giving 12 virtual cores. My usual supplier does not seem to have any of the "octocores" as yet.

15. hueseph

No. It's probably just me getting my info wrong.

16. hueseph

Actually I just checked and in fact there is an 8 core i7 chip out there. It retails for $1500. Not cheap but plenty fast I'll bet. I settle for AMD chips. They'be been very stable for me and although not nearly as fast as the top Intel chip, they are also not nearly as expensive. Either for the chip or the motherboards.

the only real problem is, no chance of ever getting thunderbolt. USB 3 is going to have to do.

17. hueseph

I had one issue with Windows 8. I took the plunge and everything seemed fine. Had to do some driver reinstalls but other than that all is good. There is a huge improvement in some things Video performance is much better. Pro Tools is even happier now.

My one issue though was a bit of a boggler. No one seemed to know how to fix it and there seem to be a few people with sound just suddenly not working. In my case, sound for any other application would quit completely after I had used a DAW. Any DAW. I was pulling my hair out for a while until I looked things over again.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I'm reading people are having issues until they reinstall ASIO and other drivers.

19. hueseph

A reinstall did not do it for me. After doing a reinstall sound would be back......until I used my DAW again. Then it would disappear. It was a settings problem for sure. I've tried a few times now and so far so good. Sound is no longer disappearing after closing my DAW. In fact the sound never really disappeared per se. It's merely that by allowing programs to have exclusive control over the hardware, it prevented other programs from accessing the hardware. So simply disabling this feature fixed the issue.

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Gotcha. Are you using asio4all by chance?