1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Winxp tuning tips

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Aaron-Carey, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Aaron-Carey

Aaron-Carey Active Member

Somewhere there was a killer thread on winxp tuning/tweaking
    I think it was at the cubendo forums anyone know the link ?

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

From Nuendo forum...posted by Mustermann2...
    pretty indepth and helpful..
    http://www.nuendo.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004038.html
    Enjoy
    Opus

3. Aaron-Carey

Aaron-Carey Active Member

Thank you thank you thank you !! three cheers

4. munkee

munkee Guest

Does this also apply to us Cubase 5.0/32 users?

5. Opus2000

Yes munkee...it's a general all around tweak guide
    happy tweaking
    Opus

6. munkee

munkee Guest

"To turn off the auto-bloody-insert notification copy this to notepad.exe and save the file as whatever.reg, then 2 x click on the saved file.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesCdrom]
    "Autorun"=dword:00000000"

I don't quite understand how this is done?

"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesCdrom]
    "Autorun"=dword:00000000"

I copy this to a notepad and that's it????

Sorry for the novice question, I don't want to screw anything up.

7. Opus2000

Actually....this is how you do it properly...
    Go to the Regedit...follow the path of the example...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesCdrom
    Start at Local Machine...and keep expanding what the example shows...when you get to CDROM right click on the right where all the entries are and choose New...DWORD...label it Autorun and hit enter..next right click on the new entery and choose modify..it should default to 0 but just check to make sure..if it's 1 then change it to 0..voilla...you're done..
    Opus

8. munkee

munkee Guest

Hey Opus,

On step 5 he talks about "disabling" things. the other Xp optimizing says to just set them to "manual"...Is there a difference...could one cause problems more than the other?

9. Opus2000

Automatic Updates-Disable
    Distributed Link Tracking Client-Disable
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator-Disable
    Fast User Switching Compatibility Services-Disable
    Human Interface Device Access
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
    Messenger-Disable
    MS Software Snapshot Provider-Disable
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing-Disable
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)-Disable
    NT LM Security Support Provider-Disable
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Portable media serial number-Disable
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager-Disable
    Remote Access Connection Manager-Disable
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager-Disable
    Removable Storage
    Routing and Remote Access
    Smart Card-Disable
    Smart Card Helper-Disable
    SSDP Discovery Service-Disable
    System Restore Service-Disable
    Task Scheduler-Disable
    Telephony
    Telnet
    Terminal Services-Disable
    Theme Services-Disable
    Uninterruptible Power Supply-Disable
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    Upload Manager-Disable
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)-Disable
    Wireless Zero Configuration service-Disable

Everything that is not labeled disable I would set to Manual...
    Opus

10. munkee

munkee Guest

Thanks Opus!

I followed your directions. I started my computer again and my modem did not work...It may not have been anything I disabled...but if it was do you know what could have caused it? I had to do a System Restore to get everything back to normal.

11. Opus2000

TURN THAT SYSTEM RESTORE OFF!!!!!! How many times do I need to yell at you for that Munkee!! lol
    :D
    That system restore is going eat up valuable disk space and resources...now...if you have a modem then dont disable any internet options...I dont know what services are available for XP at the moment but I will soon!!
    Opus

12. munkee

munkee Guest

I have to say that System Restore has saved my butt several times...It's hard to get rid of, I'm addicted to it!!! I have it set to it's lowest possible setting.... I have the program "go back" that came with my Systemworks 2002, it's seems to take up too much space though.
    What do you recommend?

13. Opus2000

I reccomend you get Norton Ghost...make a backup image of your OS install and get rid of System Works and System Restore...using Ghost can make things easier too...it makes a snapshot and stores it on another drive that you can than burn to a CD..takes 5 minutes to back up and 5 minutes to restore.
    Opus

14. munkee

munkee Guest

I mainly use Systemworks for it's speed disk program. Everything in Systemworks in on manual. So it can't possibly be hogging resources...can it?????

15. Opus2000

well..if it's installed and just waiting to be activated..yes! It can hog resources! I've never really used that app...ever since going to Win2k I just use the windows defragger..I've changed my ways and do not install any third party utility programs..I think maybe Dave Casey over at Tascam has shown me a new light!! lol!! I kind of miss that bastard over these days!! lol
    Anyways...if all you use System works for is defragging then toss it like a used kleenex! The less you have going on in the background the better!!

16. munkee

munkee Guest

So how should I adjust Virtual Memory with XP. I just installed another 512 megs of ram(now I have 1024 megs). My mouse died...I don't know if it had anything to do with the new ram or not...but I think I may have to adjust the Virtual memory.

17. Opus2000

well,first of all...does your motherboard actually support that much RAM? Having the RAM is nice but you have to make sure that the motherboard supports it!! With Virtual memory it's best to set the minimum and maximum the same...just like Win98...if you have 1GB of Ram then I would set it to 768 min and max..you dont need that much in virtual memory to be honest!!
    Opus

18. munkee

munkee Guest

My MB will support up to 2 gigs of ram. I started getting some crashes lately as well...However, windows states during the crash that I have a hardware conflict with "ati2draa" I assum that's my ATI video card. I notice ati has a new driver as of 10/22/01 for XP. I've had XP on my computer for a couple weeks...Is it common that the problems could be starting now?

I did switch my ram selection from:
    "NO Paging File" to "System managed size"...maybe that was the problem?

19. Opus2000

welll...confucious say....if one tweak something and one notices crashes....one should not have tweaked!!! lol!!
    And as we speak I am currently on XP!!! Yeehaw!! It's still the Eval build but nonetheless it's XP!! :D
    I'm going to see if they will update it to make it more of a newer version..we'll see how it works!!
    I'm going to do the XP optimization doc tomorrow or have it done tonight!!! we'll see!!!
    Opus

20. munkee

munkee Guest

Should I set the virtual memory the same on my audio harddrive? Or the the App drive?