Wireless IEM Question

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by stealthy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. stealthy

stealthy Guest

I'm running sound for a band in a few weeks that just got a Shure PSM-200 wireless IEM system and I was wondering how to set this up. I have a Yamaha MG166cx mixer and normally run floor monitors through Aux 1.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-P2TRE2H2-PSM-200-Wireless-Personal-Monitor-System?sku=270237

TIA!

2. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Do you have another spare aux send? If so patch that to the IEM transmitter.

Don't forget fresh batteries for the show!

3. stealthy

stealthy Guest

Yeah, I have 2 Aux's. So just go 1/4" from the Aux 2, to XLR on the wireless transmitter then?

4. stealthy

stealthy Guest

What about the main mix...how do i get that into the "transmixer"? It has two inputs, one for vocals and one for everything else....

5. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Various possibilities...

Option 1: ignore the second input and just create a mix from a single auxiliary. This means the singer can't adjust their own balance, but some singers would rather just ask the sound man to do that anyway.

Option 2a: use two auxiliaries patched to both inputs. Send the vocal to one of them, and a full mix of everything else to the other.

Option 2b: same as above, but use a direct out for the vocal instead of an aux.

Option 3: if the "Transmixer" has mic pre-amps you could y-split the singers mic to one of the inputs, and run an aux send to the other.