1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Wiring for h/phones

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by rubberlugs, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rubberlugs

rubberlugs Guest

I've just purchased a little 4 channel headphone amp for a location recording rig I'm putting together. I'm looking to run a stereo headphone mix straight from the back of 2 channels on my 888 audio interface into the h/phone amp. This would mean running 2 XLRs into 1 TRS. In other words 6 into 3.

I've seen stereo amps feeding headphones with both "black" posts feeding the sleeve, one "red" post feeding ring and the other "red" post feeding the tip. Am I going to have to do something similair here to make this 2 XLR into 1 TRS so that I can use 2 channels of my Pro tools output as a headphone feed.

Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. Dave62

Dave62 Guest

You need to make a special Y cable. This is a balanced to unbalanced connection. For the 888 outputs using single conductor cable and 2 female XLR's you connect the hot to pin 2 and the ground to pin 1 for each outputs (L&R). Pin 3 is left open on both. Now with a single TRS 1/4 you connect both grounds to the sleeve, One conductor to tip, and the other conductor to ring.
    See rane info on balanced to unbalanced wiring diagrams for more info