1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Xaphoons - not a how to record, but a how to make it play question?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by paulears, Apr 8, 2016.

1. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

I spotted these instruments -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301916435170?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Plastic recorder like things that take a reed, and sound like a sx/clarinet. Plenty of youtube clips showing a sort of nice sound, and comments on how easy to play they are.

I have 3 saxophones, and aren't too shabby on them, but I can't get any sensible sounds out of this thing. The reed supplied looked like it had been chewed, and was clearly an alto reed - despite many comments on the net that they use tenor reads - this is definitely an Alto one.

I tried the 2 ½ ones I normally use, and a 2 - but it's very breathy and I can only get a few notes. I'm wondering if I missed something, or maybe mine has some kind of defective moulding somewhere. It just doesn't play.

Anyone else got one?

I know it's not really a recording question, but I'd like to record it ............

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

As it happens, a pal of mine has one of those things. I had a blow on it using a plastic reed and managed to get a loud noise, but it wasn't very musical. The reed was Legere - he thought he got them from Amazon.

3. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

I suspect I may have taken the youtube videos too literally - I wonder if the guy in the videos is actually just very, very good! I'll get there!

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

looks cool.